What oil to use in a 08 YD25cr

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The manual recommends Diesel engine API grade CF-4, JAS0 DH-1. Depending on the temperature range you're driving in, you might choose a different weight - but 5W30 seems to cover most of Australia's temp ranges (good for <-30 to >+40C). If you're constantly above -10C (that means you never want to go to the snow) you can go as high as 20W50. The manual specifically states "5W30 is preferable". It also states to NEVER use API CG-4.

The important thing is that it's a low-ash diesel-specific oil. It has to be low-ash, because if you don't have a catch can (and many of us don't), a mist of oil generated by combustion blow-by is passed via the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) into the intake manifold where it is combusted. A non-low-ash oil would result in large particles of non-combusted material which could clog up the outlet.

I think light detergent oils would be fine, but don't expect the oil to look "clean" after even just a few km of driving. Blow-by blackens the oil fast, which is why it's important to use a good diesel-specific oil.

Be very careful not to overfill the crankcase, too. Fill it on level ground - it's important not to overfill it as it can cause problems.

Engine oil has a too high a flash point and burns too slow.
I would recommend 98 RON splashed liberally around the interior to get the job done right.
But thats me.

Thanks Old Tony,

My local nissan dealer (melbourne city nissan) recomended to use 10w40 should I do this, or stick to the book?

I do a bit of snow driving too..

Your local Nissan dealer is recommending an oil that is "within the range" and also is probably all they have in the barrel out the back! :s:

You could go with either. The dealer isn't going to recommend something that's bad for your engine.

hi fellas, i use Penrite Enviro+ 5w-40 Advanced Synthetic Very Low Ash Oil in my 09 d22 2.5L YD25. this is wat nissan recommended and also my local diesel shop mechanics. apparently if you use to thick an oil in these new engines your asking for trouble.

hope this helps
RustyNav09

Latest posts

Back