Engine power surging

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete-nav

Reaction score
Hi all,

My d22 has an intermittent problem, when accelerating moderate to hard i occasionally get a power surge, its like the engine misses on 3 cylinders then fires then misses then fires and so on. It doesn't happen often but gets annoying, especially when trying to overtake and the car has no go.

Its been going on for awhile now. I've been chopping and changing fuel suppliers, tryed the caltex vortex and bp ultimate diesels but it makes no difference, also changed the fuel filter a few times. also ran some injector clean through it a few times.

Its an 03 Str with a ZD30, has a 3" system but problem was there before the zorst.

Any one had anything similar or any ideas?

when it stutters try holding the gear stick over, could be neutral switch starting to play up. it usually shows up as missfiring in 3rd/4th gear.

could have air leak in the fuel lines or filter.

check how much oil is going through the breather. i used to get a bit of surging due to overfilled with oil. it was running on a bit with engine oil.

Yeah, I have a similar issue with my 06 DX, It only happens if my hand is on the gearstick and I put a bit of pressure on it in 3rd gear. Do you know if the NPS is hard to change and are they very expensive tweak'e???

no idea what the cost is. havn't had to do one yet so don't know how hard it is.
temp measure is to unplug the switch.

interesting, ill go for a drive tomorrow and hold the stick in funny places.. yeh mostly happens in 3rd or 4th. The car has 300,000k on it so the switches and stuff are probably a bit tired, i know my reverse switch don't work.

What is the NPS there for? I know a mate had to fit 1 to his car to be able to connect his remote start, but last time I checked my Nav still needs the key for that. I am guessing it has something to do with the high idle thingy switch that lifts the revs for when it is cold??

Yeh it appears to be the NPS push the stick toward neutral gently and it loses power.

Your mate would have fitted a NPS because if he tried to remote start the car and it was in gear well we all know the end to that story.

In the Nav i dunno what it does, probably trims the fuel so it idles nice and economically?

it has different fueling and different emissions things happening when in neutral.
quite possibly so it can't pour in heaps of fuel when you change gear ??
the egr butterflies don't work in neutral and egr valve comes on after 5-10mins in neutral.

Cool, I rang Nissan today and they have them for $70, I think I will pick 1 up next week and get it fitted up.

Hi pete-nav, mickyb here,i seem to be having same trouble with mine and its a 2002 model been through the same thing haven't tried nps though how did you go? did it fix your problem? interested in finding out cheers

Latest posts

Back