Suspension & Drive Clunk

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I went to Loveday 4x4 Adventure park this weekend, just got home, had a great time.

I noticed some clunking from the front drive shafts / suspension (drivers side mainly i think). It's making some very nasty sounds, you can hear them in this clip.
YouTube - Navara Loveday Hill Climb.

When you can hear the clunks I can feel them through the steering wheel. I would like to know if others have had this happen and what you did to sort it out. or... ideas on what i should inspect. i'm worried something is going to break and I'd rather fix something now before it breaks in the bush.

Thanks in advance.

I'll post another clip where you can hear it better when it finishes uploading to youtube.

Could be the transfer case chain.

Ash (Kickarse2) and Josh have had it happen.

Dave.

Could be the transfer case chain.
Dave.

Oh man, i hope not. Any ideas what a transfer chain is worth to replace assuming it is that?

It didn't do it climbing steep hills, just through sections that required a lot of suspension travel. it even did it whilst coasting (no power) in a section called "the boob shaker" that bounced the car up & down rapidly.:hmpf:

Not sure mate. If it is pick up a D21 transfer case and put the chain in yours as there said to be stronger.

Dave.

Sounds like a worn CV is jamming and then releasing to me. Or as Dave said the chain is stretched, have you ever driven it on blacktop with 4x4 engaged?

ahm my recommendations would be to check all your body mounts. mine sounded the same on my 09Nav and its was just body mounts...same thing you had feeling through steering wheel and floor

check all your body mounts. mine sounded the same on my 09Nav and its was just body mounts...same thing you had feeling through steering wheel and floor

Anyone have any ideas where the body mounts are in the D22's? i'll get under there and have a good look on the weekend.

There easy to see, look at the chassis and see where the body is bolted to that.

Dave.

Anyone know how tight they (body mounts) need to be? i can see them and they seem reasonably tight already.

on a side note, i towed a Discovery up a hill the same day, whit all wheels spinning slowly / loosing traction in 4L (on dirt) with none of the said sounds present.

i had a listen to both of your video's and it doesn't sounds like the transfer case, it makes more of a bang noise but only under load like climbing a hill.
im gonna have a guess at that one of your cv's is on the way out.
take your car onto a block of dirt put it in 4wd and turn around a at full lock then do it the other way, that is a good test to see if it is a cv.
if it only does it under load so climbing something thats not a good sign. but i think cv

on a side note, i towed a Discovery up a hill the same day, whit all wheels spinning slowly / loosing traction in 4L (on dirt) with none of the said sounds present.

Body mounts need to be pretty bloody tight. Download the D22 service manual from on here and check the torque specs.

I am now 110% certain that it's a CV.

Thanks guys, i'll organise a set of front drive shafts and fit them up when i get a chance and report back. FYI the Protex part is here - Protex CV Drive Shaft PSA861 L/H & R/H are the same part.

Anyone have any idea how difficult it is to fit yourself? had a look and it doesn't appear very difficult.

i remember joshy saying the the nissan cv's were the strongest on the market for the d22.\
will id try driving around in 4wd before you buy cv's. if you can find some soft sand get in it at full lock and give it a bit of power. the noise should become alot worse and if so it is a cv.

I had someone suggest this could be the front prop Uni Joint.

any thoughts on that?

i highly doubt it would be a unit joint. as they spin bloody quick and noise would happen alot more often, but give it a look and a bit of shake and see if it seems loose.

Hi guys,

I have a similar noise but it only seems to happen when travelling at low speeds (under 30km/h) and when in 2wd. I thought it might be the rear leaves settling in a little. Happens when I move from stand still and turn the wheel both dirctions. E.G. - very common when in a drive thru at Maccas or similar. Solid clunk. its not the steeing stops - less harsh noise and I recently replaced them.

I try to not turn the wheel when standing still to help out the power steering a bit. Don't think its the CV as it happens when not in 4WD. Maybe steering column? Doesn't feel like its clicking over though and its fine when travelling at higher speeds.

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Lj

Back