What EGT's is your ZD30DDT getting ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dave

Mine runs at 300 degrees C in general driving.

Revving 4th gear out to 4000rpm I got it up to 400 degrees C.

Dave.

with sensor after turbo,
100km/h cruise is around 200-250 and max temp at full noise has been 450.

Yeah mine is after the turbo.

It was on 250 degrees today in general town driving. Oh I hate Newcastle.

Dave.

egt probe

where is the best or easiest place to put the sensor for a egt gauge on a zd 30ddt is there a fitting anywhere on the exhaust or we talking about drilling and tapping the manifold cause living out of town with a few hills around home i would like to keep an eye on whats happening under the hood plus i bought it to tow the camper trailer cause the old hilux just didnt have it in it any more hills the old hilux was down to third gear on the nav cruises over in top

i was convinced a while ago that the best place was before the turbo, and the easiest way was to remove the egr pipe and make a plate to screw the egt into. BUT, what if the thermocouple tip drops off (it does happen) and goes through the turbo? So, in my opinion the best place to install is in the exhaust pipe, just after the turbo. There is a pretty linear temperature drop across the turbo, so even though measuring the temp in the manifold is direct, this will correspond to a proportional temp after the turbo.

BUT, what if the thermocouple tip drops off (it does happen) and goes through the turbo?

thats why you use a high quality sender. if you use lesser/cheaper brands then i would recommend after the turbo. however before turbo reacts a lot quicker than after turbo.

to bump up and old thread.........

last night i hit 550 degree EGT (after turbo) towing up a hill, full noise 2nd gear 3500 rpm. backed it off to 3000 rpm to drop the temps down to 500.

All Pyrometer needles should be placed on the exhaust side of turbo

Last edited:
Mine will only hit over 400C if I am pushing it hard.

Other then that never goes over 400C.

Dave.

550 uphill with the boat is normal for me these days....VDO fitted to 3" Taipan.

Had an interesting development the other day when the hose at the turbo compressor split as i headed home up the hill with the boat...

FYI my boost gauge takes signal from the compressor nipple - and the wastegate takes signal at the end of the intercooler pipe as it reaches the intake manifold.
With the radio/aircon & windows up i first noticed EGT head over 550 (post turbo) - boost normal at 15psi doing 80kmh in 4th. Ended up doing 50kmh in 3rd to get EGT to drop but still saw nothing wrong with the boost pressure.....until i turned raidio/aircon off and heard that little turbo working its bum off!
With a completly shredded hose the standard signal point was still reading 15psi....on inspection the hose was radiator hose - supplied and fitted by Turbotech - Perth as part of intercooler fitting. Lasted 2yrs though i suppose.

Most i've seen is about 620degC post turbo, 3rd gear 4k rpm loaded up going up a mountain. Solid 5mins with the throttle pegged. was only round 15 ambient, interesting to see if it was over 30. Water temp didn't move:hmmmm:

620 after turbo........must be getting right up on the limit. had to see what it is on a 40 degree day.

What is a safe temp to turn the car off at? 150 degrees? also can a turbo timer tap into the EGT and shut down once temp is at a certain point?, sorry to change thread a little

i shut mine off once below 150. yes you can get turbo timers that connect to EGT sensors.

150c, mine idles for 1 min and then shuts down. Usually around 200c.

No dramas at all, turbo still works and its near 200,000km's.

Dave.

Back