Engine Loosing Power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CYDEPX44

Reaction score
i've a problem with my d40 2.5 crd with 23,000 km. just before its 20k pms i sort of over-revved on 1st gear and shortly after i felt the engine loose power at 2,500 rpm upwards. dealer fixed it but can't explain how and what caused it. now it's back at 3,000 rpm but it only happens after hitting 180 kmh. run up to 179 kmh no problem but once i do 180 kmh then it won't dissapear until i shut off engine.

Not sure mate, 180km/h must be scary in a 4x4.

I remember a british bloke saying his D40 was low on power an his dealer changed the fuel pressure reg.

Is your D40 chipped ?

Dave.

proberly hitting over boost. you would have to put the scanner on it and see what fault codes pop up.

180km/h.......your obvoiusly not concerned about warranties or massive repair bills, let alone what 2 ton of leaf sprung 4x4 does when it hits a pot hole @ 180km :(

reminds me of someone who posted why his fuel consumption seamed far higher than most peole over here, it turns out he was cruising at 160km/h !
old rule of thumb is jap vechiles are designed for around 80km/h (excluding sports cars).

Harden up a bit tweake. :girl_cray3:

Not everybody has a bowling hat on their dash :big_smile:

If going a bit fast is going to hurt it Id be getting something else.

When you hit a pot hole at 180 in a Nav it does much the same as it does at 100. The thud is just over and done with half a second quicker.

Last edited:
i've a problem with my d40 2.5 crd with 23,000 km. just before its 20k pms i sort of over-revved on 1st gear and shortly after i felt the engine loose power at 2,500 rpm upwards. dealer fixed it but can't explain how and what caused it. now it's back at 3,000 rpm but it only happens after hitting 180 kmh. run up to 179 kmh no problem but once i do 180 kmh then it won't dissapear until i shut off engine.

I'm lost for words.

Still lost for words !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you explain it to Nissan,

Mister Nissan i have a problem with my Navara, blah blah blah,
but it only happens when it hits 180kmh.

I can see them either shaking there heads and/or having a good laugh after your gone.

Is there somewhere in the user manual that says don't do 180kph?

I told by a Honda dealer that my bike (at the time) hesitated at 220kph and they told me this was common on this model and was due to air flow and I should just keep powering past it.

Just cause its a ute don't mean its just for hauling hay.

Why would u want to do 180kmh, tops i have had mine to 140 and that was a once off. If you want to do 180kmh, buy a V8 and go down to Calder. Last i saw the speed limits were 100 and 110 on some freeways

Harden up a bit tweake. :girl_cray3:

Not everybody has a bowling hat on their dash :big_smile:

If going a bit fast is going to hurt it Id be getting something else.

When you hit a pot hole at 180 in a Nav it does much the same as it does at 100. The thud is just over and done with half a second quicker.

you may have perfect smooth roads, we don't. i go sideways regularly, well used to it.

When you hit a pot hole at 180 in a Nav it does much the same as it does at 100....yeah skips sideways. except at 180k it skips a lot more and you don't have time to correct it.
you have basic rear suspension, no locating bars, no sway bars, big HEAVY tires and a top heavy vehicle.
i have bits of roads around here where even at 80km/h you skip sideways every time i go over it. bugger doing that at 180+.
if you really want to go that fast in a ute on public roads then modding the suspension is required. even better rip it out and fit IRS.

not to mention what engine rpm he must be doing to do that speed. you want a high speed diesel, get a bmw.

Last edited:
Why would you want to do 140 Lance? :big_smile:

Tweak maybe you single cab handles potholes different to a dual cab.

If your Nav skips sideways when you hit a pothole Id be looking for what was wrong.

Ive hit many potholes in my day in many vehicles and don't recall ever going sideways because of it.

How do you know what it does at 180 over a pothole? Have you done it?

btw my navs 4x2 and i'm up here in the philippines. everyday i travel 80 km on this perfect asphalt 4 lane tollway. at 100 kmh the revs are just a tad over 2000 rpm. at 140 km, around 3000 rpm. it gets boring after a while and the navs got so much power i can bet you it can outrun an 08 ford exped v8. i know this for a fact. toll is expensive that's why vehicles are few. after the 1st few km you won't notice your're already doing 160. yes, my problem exactly, is how to tell my dealer the symptoms without having to tell them that it happens at 180 kmh

btw my navs 4x2 and i'm up here in the philippines. everyday i travel 80 km on this perfect asphalt 4 lane tollway. at 100 kmh the revs are just a tad over 2000 rpm. at 140 km, around 3000 rpm. it gets boring after a while and the navs got so much power i can bet you it can outrun an 08 ford exped v8. i know this for a fact. toll is expensive that's why vehicles are few. after the 1st few km you won't notice your're already doing 160. yes, my problem exactly, is how to tell my dealer the symptoms without having to tell them that it happens at 180 kmh

i will have to go look but i think i saw something similar with people blasting down autobahns in them. it was somethign about they don't like to run at high speed for any length of time.
can't remember if it was a fault or a design feature.

first thing i would be doing is to fit a code reader and see what fault coses where recordered.

is it chipped at or modded at all ?

nope. all stock except for grippier continental tyres. could there be a lo- power safety mode in the programming that prevents overheating? i seem to hear the turbo un-spool @ 3,200 rpm

just thought i'd update you mates, i finally got the nerve to tell nissan about my "problem"... it turns out that too much dust in the air filter was choking the turbo into sucking its own rubber inlet tube on hard boost. what a relief!

nope. all stock except for grippier continental tyres. could there be a lo- power safety mode in the programming that prevents overheating? i seem to hear the turbo un-spool @ 3,200 rpm

my turbo seems to cut out/waste gate open at 3100ish and at that point the turbo is running at 17psi roughly for most of us.

normal for it to open cause of the pressure activated solenoid/actuator

my turbo seems to cut out/waste gate open at 3100ish and at that point the turbo is running at 17psi roughly for most of us.

normal for it to open cause of the pressure activated solenoid/actuator
D40 is variable vane turbo, its not boost activated.

Back