Engine Blown

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsteve01

Reaction score
Think I may have blown up my D22 3.0lt

Heading up a hill on the freeway at around 100k's then lost all power, smoke pouring out the back.

Coolant was boiling. Raa started it up and was running rough as and think it blown a ring or something, so it was towed to depot.

They taking off what they can with minimal effort to see if they can get a better idea of what is wrong, but they are talking possibility of 2nd hand motor.

Obviously it really depends on what is actually wrong, but what are my options?

i would be inclined to bite the bullet and pull the head off. odds are its cracked the head and blown a piston.

That was my thought to. They're coming back to me on a price for that as well. It's gotta be cheaper than a new motor. Current one only has 130-140K's on it, and who knows what you get with a 2nd hand one.

Shit 2005 and a good chance of a hole in a piston.

How is your service history, may may help you out.

Dave.

Well it is confirm has blown the piston in the number 1 cylinder.

Now what to do

Rebuild motor
2nd hand motor
New motor
Wreck/Sell as is.

What sort of impact on price would it have selling as is. I'm estimating the cost of cheapest option above less some of the labour.

If you rebuild the motor, you know exactly what you have - a fully rebuilt engine. It should last at least as long as the old one.

If you get a 2nd hand one, you've no idea how long it'll keep going. However, you could get a different kind of motor in it that doesn't suffer from those problems, maybe.

If you get a new motor, hopefully it's got a new chassis and body attached to it because there's stuff-all difference in price from what I've heard.

Wrecking/selling as is - is not going to fetch a lot of $. I'd say this is a sign of giving up on the old one which might be an option depending on how much you want the car and how much money you've got to throw at it.

do you want to sell your turbo.

At this stage I would only consider selling(for the right price) as is and not breaking it up.

Option for rebuild it still on the table at the moment.

I'm probably being unrealistic, but mid to high teens would what I would need to cover most of what's left on the finance. Anything less and i'm going to have to repair it.

personally i would rebuild it. but i don't know what your guys prices are over there.
it will also depend on what condition the rest of the motor is like.

hate to ask but i would like some photos of the motor, head, how blocked up intake and valves are.

Mate, are you in woodchester SA?

gday mate, I went through the same thing last year (mine was a turbo bearing failure) This is how i went about fixing it:

Option 1:
Sent it of to Nissan, quoted about $15000-$20000 for a new engine installed with new turbo and recon injection pump. Needless to say didn't go down this path!

Option 2:
Second hand motor, you can get one for about $4000 - $5000, I personally wouldn't go down this path if you are wanting to keep the car.

Option 3:
Pulled the engine out myself, sent it off to Central Diesel for a complete rebuild. I highly recomend Central Diesel. I supplied the parts which I got from Engine Australia, this was about $6000. New turbo, injectors and rebuilt fuel pump about $4000 all up. So grand total about $10000. If you do this they key to success is to label everything carefully and be organised, those zip lock bags come in very handy. If you send it off to a rebuilder make sure you list everything you give them and have them sign off on a parts list, as they will lose all sorts of stuff, my flywheel went missing (I originally sent it to Rick Corbets, NEVER go to them, they are unorganised and expensive, when I realised how bad they were, I collected all my gear and took it to Central Diesel), got it back though. When selecting a rebuilder, go check out their workshop, if it is a mess, stay well away.

If I did it again, I would buy a new crate motor from Nizzbits, I reckon that was about $8000 but does not include turbo or fuel injection system, at least this way you get the newest engine available and it would be alot quicker and less stuffing around.

You should get your injectors and pump tested, they will no doubt be out of spec. Take them to High Tech Diesel, I found them to be very good.

Not sure if you are looking at doing the work yourself, if you can you can save around $5000 in labour but it is a long and difficult process, a good learning curve though and pretty enjoyable when you turn it over for the first time!

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Good luck.

Well selling it is out, got offered $7K for it, so about half of what I'm prepared to loose on it. So fix it is.

personally i would rebuild it. but i don't know what your guys prices are over there.
it will also depend on what condition the rest of the motor is like.

hate to ask but i would like some photos of the motor, head, how blocked up intake and valves are.

15K is the only rebuild price I've got so far.

I don't have the car atm, if I do get it back I'll take some shots.

Mate, are you in woodchester SA?
yup

Cheers for all your suggestions. i'm tossing up on pulling out myself, but not very mechanically inclined so kinda prepared to pay for the labour just to make sure it's done right.

I haven't checked on the crate motor yet, but the no turbo and fuel may add more to it than I'm prepared to. Had 1 price on a 2nd hand motor of $5200 for 70K 's, but I think this price is based on them doing all the work and keeping what they take out. being in Vic, kinda not an option.

Krieg Engine Reconditioning in Mt Barker is where the mech is likely to be sending it.

call into the workshop and take some pics before they clean everything.

i would like to know why such a late model one blew a piston.

How many Kms?

If you serviced it yourself that tells me it was done properly and at 5k intervals?

So essentially we have a well serviced young motor blowing up. That shouldn't happen.

Its out of warranty but Nissan should be building motors with more reasonable service lives!

Back