d21 transfer case swap

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashleylipus

Reaction score
here are a few photos of the second hand transfer case i purchased of a member on this forum. i am told it is from a pathfinder but it has the wider drive chain like the older d21's.
i split the rear case third where the chain and sprockets are housed
Image0138.jpg

Image0143.jpg

i inspected the mainshaft bearings, shift fork and gears for wear and tear and all seems to be in good order
Image0142.jpg

i then inspected the chain and the two frond drive sprockts and mesured the chain,
Image0141.jpg

Image0140.jpg

the chain is aproximatly 35mm wide. and looks in perfect condition as do the two frond drive sprockets, no broken teeth, gouges or scoring marks, and no sign of chain slippage. unfortunatly im told it is rather difficult to measure chain stretch so im going to have to wing it.
Image0139.jpg

i then cleaned the machined flanges of the 2 case halves and applied sealent to the flanges and bolted back together
Image0144.jpg

Image0145.jpg

unfortunatly there are a few little bits missing from the case but i will take the old ones of my original case and put them on the replacement one.

one thing i have already noticed is the 4wd switch is in a different possition.

i will post back as soon as i have installed it to show weather or not it is a straight bolt up or it needs modification.

does anyone have the measurments of the width of the stock d22 t-case chain??

hope i can afford to get some reduction gears for this befor i put it in. saves taking it out again.

i am also curiouse to know if the patrol front drive sprockets and chain can be fitted in to the d22 case??? seeing as it is impossible to rotate the patrol case so the driveshaft is on the same side....

hmmmmmm might play around with my old t-case when i get it out

Last edited:
Nice photos. Joshy how does that compare to D22 cases you have taken apart? Just to confirm the general (US based) knowledge that older cases have the wider chain?

i have counted the links crossways in the photo of joshys broken transfer chain and i have counted the links in the photo in my post above and unfortunatly both have the same number of links which leads me to belive that the newer model t-case chains and the older model chains are infact the same width.

We'll see what Joshy says when he reads this but that's odd, everyone collectively seems to think that the older cases had wider chains.

The t-case you've got there is from a WD21 Pathfinder, is identical to the cases fitted to the D21, and yet the chain is no wider.

Regardless, try fitting it to your D22 and see if the chain is in better condition than yours.

Will do. Weather its wider or not the sooner i get the ute back on the track the better

sorry about the delay. ill try and measure it tomorrow arvo

Latest posts

Back