Obd-ii

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biscuits

Ginger Ninja.
Reaction score
Who out there is running OBD-II Hardware. I am more interested in the plug/interface, than what you use to display information.

What brands, connection types (usb, bluetooth), cost, where from (ebay, scan tool)?

I have a scangauge II, it has the ODB connector on one end and the other end has an RJ45 connector that plugs into the display head. You can purchase just the cable from them. http://www.scangauge.com/buy/index.shtml

ScanGauge-II2.jpg

I've got the scangauge above which connects as Jason said.

Someone on here once suggested they were buying an OBD-II connector with either bluetooth or wifi (I think it was bluetooth) that would connect to their nav system whether they brought it or not I don't remember but I think it was around the $50 mark. That doesn't include any software though.

I've also got ProScan 5.8 which I haven't really played with, although it's updated itself twice since I've had it. It connects with a serial connector to any capable pc although the new version apparently connects with both BT and wifi, but you need extra components to do such things. As with everything it's on the to do list but while scangauge is not reporting any errors then other things just have more importance than playing around with the ecu that I don't really have any intention of altering.

There was also a cheap scan tool being sold as a Nissan Scan tool on ebay last year, however I'm fairly sure that despite their claims it was just a cheap Chinese rip off and that the actual connector wasn't even OBD-II.

I'm the one that bought the Bluetooth adapter ($53 if memory serves) but I couldn't make it work with the Windows CE in-dash machine or with my Windows Mobile-based HTC phone.

I did get it to talk to my Palm TX, but that was very basic stuff and the connection was erratic. I doubt the bluetooth dongle was worth buying at all. One day I'll try again. For now, I can't be stuffed until I get my hands on C++ so I can write the software for WinCE, because I've tried searching for stuff and I can't find anything that will talk to the Bluetooth adapter properly.

i bought the usb cable off ebay $15 lol with free software which werent to bad but ended up downloaded a cracked proscan for better details/info...

i bought the usb cable off ebay $15 lol with free software which werent to bad but ended up downloaded a cracked proscan for better details/info...

Hey mate, can u put up the links for the proscan and usb cable.

:cheers!:

Bear in mind that linking to 'cracked' software is possibly illegal, emailling links to such software wont get the forum in trouble.

Bear in mind that linking to 'cracked' software is possibly illegal, emailling links to such software wont get the forum in trouble.

I would think a link or pm to an EBAY page is legal,
and then a pm to a web page also?????
me thinks thats kinda like what you wrote up there??

Cracked software is usually illegal, you asked for links to be put up to cracked software you didn't ask for a pm or an email. My suggestion was purely to remind anyone one that posting of links to illegal software in a thread may not be the right thing to do. If management want to allow posting of links to illegal software it's fine by me and whoever has the link can post away.

Cracked software is usually illegal, you asked for links to be put up to cracked software you didn't ask for a pm or an email. My suggestion was purely to remind anyone one that posting of links to illegal software in a thread may not be the right thing to do. If management want to allow posting of links to illegal software it's fine by me and whoever has the link can post away.

Would this apply to the 'free' service manuals being downloaded?

I was just after some info, not a bitch session about copyright.

That's true, but the warning is still valid. Krankin is absolutely right too, we shouldn't have the links for the service manuals on the forum either as there's a copyright attached to the manuals stating (taken from the D40 manual):

© 2005 NISSAN EUROPE S.A.S.
All rights reserved. No part of this Electronic Service Manual may be reproduced or stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any
form, or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of Nissan
Europe S.A.S., Paris, France.

The forum admins can get some heat over the distribution of illegal material that is within their power to stop. Asking for some private messages so these can be moved around takes the danger away from the admins and keeps the forum intact.

There is a risk that we lose the forum altogether if the copyright hounds actually take the forum operators to task, so let's try and keep that from happening.

The copyright concerns are valid. As i was the original thread starter for D40 manual i have rectified the issue there. As for the obtainment for any software. My official recommendation is to purchase it.

I have a scangauge II, it has the ODB connector on one end and the other end has an RJ45 connector that plugs into the display head. You can purchase just the cable from them. ScanGaugeII - How to Buy

Do you recommend the scanguage II?

I'm looking for either a complete unit like this or an ODB-connector to USB to use on my laptop but not sure which is best option.

Jason can answer for himself when he's on, however:

I don't think there are too many of us with SG that aren't happy with it but it purely depends what you want to use it for. SG can read things like error codes, fuel usuage, economy etc etc with some degree of accuracy but it can't change anything.

Software like ProScan (or the hundreds of other software packages) which require a bit more power require laptops but can change settings.

If you simply want to know what your economy, boost temps etc are then SG is an ideal tool, but bear in mind just because you have an ODBii port doesn't mean all functions of SG will work, (not saying they wont but even SG themselves give the same warning). SG is great for on the run information whereas sitting a laptop on the passenger seat isn't, but if you want more power you have to go the laptop options.

Thanks for the info KraftyPg.

Where did you order yours from? I can't find a seller that's willing to post to Australia... but still looking.

There is an aussie seller. Ample Outdoors, atleast they were the aussie seller a few weeks back. Their service is pretty good too. the mod that actually make them in the US will post to Aus but you have to weight up warranty and stuff if you do that.

Back