1986 D21 + Ramsey RE800 (DC200) winch = ???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well here goes. Custom mod no 1. My first ever.

Had the Nav for 6 months, Petrol, Dual cab 4X4 and decided i needed a winch. Being familiar with the Ramsey products i decided on a DC200 i found on Ebay for $152.50 in unknown condition. Pulled the motor off it and gave to an auto elec who spent $27.00 for me. While the motor was being repaired i gave the rest of the winch a once over. It needed a gasket, $29.00, and it is now re-assembled and working fine. So its an 8000pd, long drum, industrial strength winch, with 40 Meters of cable in working order for $208.50. Lets just see how reliable it is before i get too excited, but so far so good.

Now all i have to do is mount it....

Anybody done a custom winch bar on a D21 ? Any hints, tips, advice before I start cutting and grinding.

Heres a couple of pics of the winch. Thats my size 8 boot just for a reference on size.

Could anybody suggest where i would go to get my ideas for mounting checked, just to be sure it can do its job without ripping itself apart.

Attachments

• DSC01742.jpg
    DSC01742.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC01743.jpg
    DSC01743.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 232
Bloody hell that's a big winch!

I was going to say "6mm steel plate is recommended for mounting the winch" but with size like that, I'd say 7mm just to give it a chance to hold the weight of the winch!

It'll also make the front of your vehicle sag (once you've added all the steel it'll take to mount it as well) so you might be looking for new front springs too.

The other observation I'd make is that it looks durable - solid enough to go the distance.

I can carry rhe winch Ok on my own so lets say 25 kg. I remember a few years ago at a 4WD event, in wandin i think, a mate bought a 8000pd winch and i went to pick it up and got a bit of a surprise how heavy it was. I would suggest this is not much heavier, 10Kg maybe. Im not going the full bullbar, just a simple winch mount so i guess weight wise i will end up even.

When i got the old girl it was riding on the front bump stops, literally resting on them. I consulted a few people with a little more knowledge than myself and was told as a temperary fix i could simply remove the adjusment fitting from the end of the torsion bar, turn it 2-3 splines and refit, then adjust and bingo, we have travel. The rear springs are flat as, its sitting on the big thick overload spring, so suspension is on this list of things to do when $$$$ allow.

Durable is an understatement, Ramsey winches are built for commercial use, then adapted for recreational users, or at least they used to be. Ramsey now has a range of compact low mount winches specificly built for recreational 4WD users. Try this link for more info if your interested.

http://www.superwinch.com.au/page/electric_dc.html

Last edited:
I have a v6 conversion for your d21 if your interested.

Yes I know. I keep reading your posts, then the Missus walks in and im reminded of the fact that the Z24 does infact propel the ute to work and back every day quite succesfully. And she is correct, cubic inches are low on the list of priorities at present....... Bugger. Hate it when there right..... But if the Gen 3 comes up for grabs Pm me LOL

Back