left door banging sound when hit bumps

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbblitz

Reaction score
my front left door makes a banging sound when i hit a decent bump.

I have a 2009 st-r.

Last service was my 10,000kms and i told them (Nissan) about it and they put some grease on the door itself.

But its still does it.

Can the door be out of alignment or something?

When i have my 20000 service im going to tell them about it again.

Had my mum in the car the other day and she goes god sounds like the door is gonna fall off.

any ideas?

The Dreaded Door Noise

My 06 D22 has done this from new, drivers door mainly and even more pronounced when cornering. Put it down to being a D22 thing.:rant:

There's a guy south of here that drives a D22 with a box of matches at the ready, and one of the reasons is the door striker latch is way out of alignment. He's not happy with his ride, nor with Nissan's response to the issues he's having.

Is your door sitting straight in the frame?

When you close the door slowly, are you getting BOTH clicks, showing that it's not only latching on to the door but locking it closed as well?

Are all your door seals in the right place?

I've noticed that if I don't shut my door properly the banging noise is unbelievably loud and annoying especially the drivers door. I'm not suggesting you are silly enough to not realise you're door isn't shutting properly but Tony's idea of the door fitting right is the first thing I'd be looking at because I'd reckon it would only take a slight mis-alignment of the door and the hinge to make a very annoying rattling noise from a door that still seemed to fit properly.

Door adjustments aren't that hard to do yourself but all it would take is a bolt that was missed or didn't get done up properly at the factory and the door could easily move enough to rattle.

Ok i just went and checked my front passenger door and i slowly closed the door.

I think it kinda lifts up just that little bit when i push on the door for the 2nd click noise.

so what i did then was push hard on and off the door and i kinda got the rattle noise.

So i did the same thing to the other doors and they don't do it.

So i guesss i can show nissan when i go there in about 5000kms for my next service.

Unless its easy to fix?

Do you think i should just check all the bolts and see if there tight?

I think though after it does the 2nd click it kinda feels like the latch or something click but the door slightly lifts up so when it goes the 2nd click the door is closed.

hmmm... interesting

It's not the same for every case but I'd suggest if the door was moving up when you closed it that the hinges could be the culprit. They aren't hard to adjust but it may not just be a simple case of tightening them. You might have to loosen them off and move the hinge slightly, then tighten them a bit open and close the door a few times to see how the adjustment works and then decide if you need to do it again.

It could be as simple as tightening a bolt or two but if they were loose it's a good chance the hinge will have dropped anyway so it might still take some fine tuning. If it was mine I'd probably attempt it myself before trusting Nissan to do it, sure it's an easy job and even their trained monkeys should be able to do it but it's still one of those jobs where their care factor will be a lot less than yours. You can't really stuff it up if you take things carefully so you don't have anything to loose trying it yourself.

Hi,
New member here first post.
Mine has had a passenger front door rattle since new, just had 1000k service where they said they had adjusted it but still same rattle. It seems to feel different when it shuts to all the others and doesn't have that pop when you lift the door handle. I have put some electrical tape on striker and it has fixed problem, going back to dealer on friday see if I get any satisfaction. Very annoying that I have to keep going back for brand new car.

To my way of thinking it would be worse if you COULDN'T go back, not matter how little help they provide atleast they give you some form of warranty to allow you to get these things fixed. Take the service droid with you after the work is done and let him show you they fixed the problem, don't just settle for them saying they fixed it, let them prove it and don't take no for an answer.

I wonder if this is whats causing my clunking/rattling sound from the back right of the car when I hit bumps going around left hand corners. I'll have to check that back door.

Excuse my noobness but what bit is the striker that you put electrical tape on?

Mines the same, but over rutted roads for example when going around a right hand bend. Sounds exactly like its not closed properly, except that it is closed properly.

Mine's an '08 model and has done this bugger of a noise too, from new.
Was very pissed about it let me tell you.
Went around everything and no signs of anything loose or any wear marks or misalignment.

What I have found though is that the seat belt buckles that hang on the belts when the seat is empty seam to bang around on the pillars and thus make a racket.

Can you guys help out as i dont drive the Nav atm much anymore,
and get the buckles away/paded/taped down from pillars and post up your results as the more guys that try the better the experiment results will be.

:cheers!:
hope this helps, just need more people to try it out.

i think DAVOGRUNT is right, its a d22 thing i have a 2009 d22 and all my doors do it, i have gotten over it just turn the radio up and it kind of covers it.

My guess is that there is a D40 owner who works at the factory where the 22's are made who takes the leftover nuts & bolts and hangs them inside the doors on pieces of string. :big_smile::cheers!::big_smile:

My guess is that there is a D40 owner who works at the factory where the 22's are made who takes the leftover nuts & bolts and hangs them inside the doors on pieces of string. :big_smile::cheers!::big_smile:

Given the way D40's are built, thats entirely believable

The striker is the part bolted to the door frame that the latch closes to.
Yeah mine is worse going around corners. On road not so bad but get on dirt especially corrigations and it is flat out deafening, drove my son nuts too sitting right next to it.
The back doors have a plastic coated striker but not the front doors, but the drivers door being the only one with light switch seems to give the door more to close to, I think the passenger door should have the same type of striker as the back doors with the plastic cover.

Yeah but depending on how you read them as to the story they tell

D22 Owner: D40's get recalled because they fall apart

D40 Owner: Atleast they still care about our utes enough to do recalls

D21 Owner: Recall? I vaguely recall buying this thing.

lol...

on a vaguely serious note,
I'd like to get to the bottom of this door banging thing.
Damn now Krafty, they wont do a recall for us now will they.
They wont want to tarnish the reputation of the D22 for the sake of a banging bloody door, damn again:rant:

spose I'll have to rely on the forum members to come up with a solution.

D22 or not I'd still be interested to hear what the noise is but I am sorry to break the news to you about the recalls. I'll have a beer for you to make you feel better......is it working yet?

Back