water in air filter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradd22

Reaction score
I took my 04 str diesel navara to the powerlines today and seemed to get a little bit of water on the air filter it seems to drive and run ok. Has anyone had simallary experencie?

A little water *on* the air filter won't kill it. Water in the fuel might, as it's passed through the injector, but atomised water being passed through the intake valves will not harm the motor.

If it takes a gulp - meaning more than just a mist - and the engine tries to compress the water, it'll probably snap a con rod or blow the head gasket, crack the head etc. You'd know pretty quickly because the engine stops dead until you repair the damage.

I wouldn't worry. I might replace the air filter and give some thought to a snorkel.

some people on here might remember my thread i had on here regarding a str blown motor caused by water and then nissan not providing a new engine through insurance for some 4 months. i had to remove the thread because of an agreement i had with nissan. with out getting into too much detail. i went through a puddle approx 300mm deep in 2nd gear and the engine got a mouthful of water and killed it. i now recommend to everyone i meet with a navara or any other duel cab 4wd to get a snorkle. how the air intake is designed will let water get sucked up, in some circumstances. since the trouble i had i have been told of it happening to other navaras and collarados, and one hilux that i know of. if ya worried about water then get a snorkle you should be able to buy a genuine one and get it fitted for less then 500 if you are good at bargining. its alot cheaper then $17,000 for a new engine

on the D22's theres a hole in inner guard which allows water to splash up and enter the intake. even with that hole blocked it still sucks a bit of water in, you can see the dust marks it leaves behind.

however just make sure it is water and not engine oil. without a catch can you tend to get a filter filled with engine oil from the breather.

Back