Newbie looking to join the Navara ranks

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battler

Reaction score
G'day everyone.

Ben here in Sunny Sydney (it's pouring rain right now).

I have been looking round for a suitable dual-cab chassis vehicle to be my new work truck. I want towing power ( need to pull a 3000kg equipment trailer in future), so I am trawling the web for a Navara diesel under $20k

However, the catch is that I want a dually with tray-back, not the popular "style-side" ute rear end. I have only seen a few D22's around with drop-sides. But the D22 seats look pretty ordinary (I get a sore back driving a lot) and they don't appear to have power windows (great for locking them off when carrying the sproglets)

The Chase: All the ST-R I have seen are style-side. What's it like whacking a drop-side tray on tha back of an ST-R? I'm fairly technical & mechanical (no, not like Steve Austin) so if it involves a few bolts and a large hammer I am not scared off ;-)

Appreciate any input for a N00B. I've plenty other performance mods I'd love to field questions on, so watch this space!

G'day Ben, lol mate showing your age there!!! (Steve Austin:big_smile:) I'm not sure how much the seats have changed from year to year, mine an 08 D22 is quite comfortable (also suffer back pain). My wagon came standard with electric windows that i seem to have locked all the time (sprats as well!). I had the fellas at the nissan dealer fit my tray for me as a part of the deal, and I am absolutly certain you could do a better job!!! While I dont doubt my Nav can pull a decent load (trailer etc.) I reckon the D40 mighyt be a better choice for those sort of loads!!

Anyways all the best mate, cheers Brad

Welcome to the forum.

3000kg is alot of weight, for pulling much everyday I would be looking at a 6 ton truck.

The old saying about cubic inches is true.

I love my D22 Navara but I think the towing limit is a little tow high for the engine power and torque and brakes.

Thats my opinion, but good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Dave.

I had the fellas at the nissan dealer fit my tray for me as a part of the deal, and I am absolutly certain you could do a better job!!! While I dont doubt my Nav can pull a decent load (trailer etc.) I reckon the D40 mighyt be a better choice for those sort of loads!!

Anyways all the best mate, cheers Brad

Thanks Brad. The dealer really did such a dodgy job on fitting the tray? That's pretty sad.

Also, you and Dave are correct; 3T is a lot to be pulling all the time. I think that realistically the (electrically braked) trailer might be loaded to 1.5T, with the occasional 2T load. But won't be very long trips or every single day of the week.

The D40 looks great, and it has the newer YD25 donk. But I've looked around the I don't have the minimum of $30k lying around, even for a second hand one. :-(

Anyway, I won't take up too much space here in the "welcome" section.

Thanks for your welcome words; See all you guys in the Forum!

Latest posts

Back