Back seat removal (temporary)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesso

Reaction score
Gents,

Has anyone done a temporay removal of the back seat, fabricated a shelf and bolted it in place? Id like to be able to use the space for lengthy trips. On return, Id like to be able to unbolt the shelf, and bolt the back seat back in.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

wesso

yeah did exactly that to mine. mounted to the seatbelt points, had three creates that strapped down then threw bags on top and a big strap over them too.
peter-st_r-albums-pics-picture632-img-0049.jpg

I will try to get a pic of the base and mounting in the next few days.

cheers

how does the removeal of the seat affect the road-worthyness state of a vehicle?

If the car is road worthy as a 5 seater, and you remove the rear bench seat, you only have 2 serviceable seats ...

I like th idea of what you are trying to achieve weaso, but perhaps it wise to check out the legal consequence of seat removal. The reason I raise this is that if it makes the car technically un-roadworthy, if something goes wrong while your on your trip - the insurance have an excuse to not pay up.

I'm thinking of all those MPVs with dickie seats - Provided you only carry as many people as you have serviceable seats and harnesses for, you won't have an issue.

thanks guys....looks like i need to look into it a bit more. Ill get back to you when ive got a solution.

When I was looking into an electric car conversion 2 years ago, it was acceptable to remove rear seating in an overweight car in order to get it under the GMVW. Even removing the center seat belt to bring the max passenger capacity down was OK.

I wanted to be able to fit my 60 litre ARB fridge in the back for weekends away so here's the shelf I made. I do loop the two lap sash seat belts through the handles on the fridge to stop it flying about in the event of an accident.
It takes about 5 minutes to remove both seat parts and bolt the shelf in.
I'm not worried about the legality of removing the seat, I think you'd have to be a smart ass to get pinched for that.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Its not a problem to remove the seats, however if you do so before a rego inspection, they will reduce the seating capacity of your car. A lot of the silvia guys take their back seats out when running a drift set up. No trouble with the RTA, except that their cars are now registered as 2 seaters.

This is what I'll be doing when I head up to Fraser. I plan to cover the shelf with some rubber though. Atop the fridge sliding away. I'll put a tie down point in though

I have the ARB tie downs so no sliding about on mine, I will cover it in carpet to improve the looks but it's not a permanent fixture in there. It will come out after use, as I said 5 minutes and the seats are back in good as new.
I must say the 60 litre ARB fridge is a squeeze through the tiny rear door, has to come in from a high angle, I couldn't lift it in full of food, its also a PITA to get good access through the door to get stuff out, not something I'd like to do every day for a month...

Gents,

Has anyone done a temporay removal of the back seat, fabricated a shelf and bolted it in place? Id like to be able to use the space for lengthy trips. On return, Id like to be able to unbolt the shelf, and bolt the back seat back in.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

wesso

Yes I have done this to my unit and it is not all that hard to do. If you send me your email address to [email protected] and I will send you some pic's of it.

Its not a problem to remove the seats, however if you do so before a rego inspection, they will reduce the seating capacity of your car. A lot of the silvia guys take their back seats out when running a drift set up. No trouble with the RTA, except that their cars are now registered as 2 seaters.

I got a pink slip today with the back seat removed. Old mate didn't say anything.

I spilt a bottle of injector cleaner on the seat base. !@#$ that shit stinks.

Thanks for the pics!!! Thats perfect and simple! A slab of marine ply and some marine carpet for long life and presto! Pitty the rear doors dont open enough to have the fridge on a slide but we cant have it all too easy!!! :)

albatross said:
Thanks for the pics!!! Thats perfect and simple! A slab of marine ply and some marine carpet for long life and presto! Pitty the rear doors dont open enough to have the fridge on a slide but we cant have it all too easy!!! :)

I think the 40l engel I'm getting should fit well
By my measurements.

That platform is bloody mint. I'm hoping to have time to slap one together tomorrow for the cape trip. Will use 12mm ply

RustyNav09 said:
That platform is bloody mint. I'm hoping to have time to slap one together tomorrow for the cape trip. Will use 12mm ply

Shouldn't take you long at all mate. Easy as with a circular saw ;). If you were close I'd lend a hand

Latest posts

Back