smokey 4x4

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sutters

Reaction score
hey, ive got a TD27 D21 navara which is blowing thick black smoke when it's under any form of stress. it is used mainly off road. just wondering if anyone might know a way to try and reduce the amound of smoke being made or problems that may cause it? cheers tom

is it turbo'ed?

basic things.... air blockage, check air filter and hoses. oil change.
EGR stuck open if it has it.
if only at full thottle then pump is overfueling.
worn injectors, get them reco'd.
or even injection timing is out.
also poor fuel, low compression, worn injection pump.

start with the basics ;)
i would not keep running it like that, they tend to crack heads and/or pistons.

NA TD27, it's always been well maintained, regular oil, filter and radiator fluid changes. reguards tom.

Injector's rebuilt and the injection pump tune should help, they are a old design motor. They will smoke abit under load.

If you can afford to turbo it, get it all done at the same time.

Dave.

Injector's rebuilt and the injection pump tune should help, they are a old design motor. They will smoke abit under load.

bloody aussies and smoking diesels ! :thumpdown:
if they are tuned right they do not blow smoke at all.

Tweak'e have you ever seen a RD28/T/TI not smoke.

However I agree with you, but most people dont worry.

Dave.

Tweak'e have you ever seen a RD28/T/TI not smoke.
my understanding is the fuel over there is below minimum required for the RD28 motors. the TD series fuel requirement is less.
its just like a lot of the jap imports we get here, they are all tuned to jap diesel. give the pump a few tweaks and they run clean as. RD28's are no different. i haven't seen a smoky patrol in years.
its not a big problem to fix, you just got to fix this idea that diesels are smoky and get the penny pinching buggers to fix their vehicles.
i think i mentioned before in another thread, i've seen more smoky common rail vehicles than i have seen older vehicles.

i recently purchase a pathfinder d21 terrano this is my second one of these cars unfortunately i lost the first one to the sea how ever these motors seem to always be smokey regardless of injectors changed or not but if you describe when you put load on does it struggle and blow the smoke out? or does it boost and blow the smoke out?

smoke is from poor burning due to bad fuel spray (worn injectors or worn injection pump) but a common cause of smoking is simply overfueling due to bad tuning.
tune the injection pump and smoke will disappear.

what tweak'e said terrano monster,exactly right,my td27 d21 had 180000k on it when i got it and was blowing clouds of black smoke,the pump was leaking out of the seals,lucky for me it was when the fuel company's where fixing the pump's because of the new low sulphur diesel,the diesel shop that did the pump up for me said the previous owner must have cranked the pump up himself,hereckoned it was way out,reckons they do it to try to get more speed out of them,after they did the pump,just cleaned the injectors,no smoke,economy,has 290000k on it now and still runs like a watch,that's the trick getting them tuned properly.

Latest posts

Back