Decisions decisions

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merchant

Reaction score
Hi all,

The misses has given approval for me to buy either a new Double DIN stereo (GPS etc) or a performance chip of some type.

I was leaning towards the stereo because of the cost of the chips, but came across the Chip-It range while researching yesterday.

I know that chips have been done to death in this forum but i am yet to read about negatives and positives anywhere from anyone owning a D40 auto.

I would also like to know how the Chip-It range matches up against the more named brands.

To my way of thinking you answered your own question. You haven't been able to find enough information about one of them so go with what you do know.

I'm not really that interested in chips but there is one particular thread about cheaper chips that wouldn't fill me with much confidence, a number of people asked specific questions and the answers were similar to that you'd expect from a politician, long winded and lacking in substance. There are several points that I think the distributor really missed when addressing some questions from forum members which really makes it look likes he's just a spin doctor for a product he doesn't actually understand fully. I'm not saying this is definitely the case but it does sound like it in some of the posts.

There are some things out there that really do serve you best when you spend the extra dollars, after all you're considering spending somewhere around the $500 mark to replace the stereo because you realise a $20 unit from a garage sale wont cut it, the same theory possibly applies to chips.

Whatever brand chip you decide to buy you have to trust both the manufacturer and the chip itself to serve you and you're car well because there is a lot of damage one chip can potentially do to a car where as even the cheapest of stereos is unlikely to render you car useless.

Stereo would be my choice too. With an extra screen for in the back if you've got kiddies. Decent navigation software, iPod/iTouch connectivity, BlueTooth for phone management and you've pretty much covered the best of what you can get.

To my way of thinking you answered your own question. You haven't been able to find enough information about one of them so go with what you do know.

I'm not really that interested in chips but there is one particular thread about cheaper chips that wouldn't fill me with much confidence, a number of people asked specific questions and the answers were similar to that you'd expect from a politician, long winded and lacking in substance. There are several points that I think the distributor really missed when addressing some questions from forum members which really makes it look likes he's just a spin doctor for a product he doesn't actually understand fully. I'm not saying this is definitely the case but it does sound like it in some of the posts.

There are some things out there that really do serve you best when you spend the extra dollars, after all you're considering spending somewhere around the $500 mark to replace the stereo because you realise a $20 unit from a garage sale wont cut it, the same theory possibly applies to chips.

Whatever brand chip you decide to buy you have to trust both the manufacturer and the chip itself to serve you and you're car well because there is a lot of damage one chip can potentially do to a car where as even the cheapest of stereos is unlikely to render you car useless.

Krafty

Do you have a link to that thread? I plan on doing a lot more research prior to making a decision. The only reason i want a chip is for towing a 1.5T caravan, often through the hilly Kimberlies. I'm not one to put the foot down cos i can.

It is interesting to not that all the $1300+ chips back up the manufacturers warranties.

Cheers

Last edited:
I'd go the wireless too. with a screen in the dash and a camera facing the rear makes it safer for reversing as well. plus you can enjoy the stereo every single Kilometer you drive.

Krafty

Do you have a link to that thread? I plan on doing a lot more research prior to making a decision. The only reason i want a chip is for towing a 1.5T caravan, often through the hilly Kimberlies. I'm not one to put the foot down cos i can.

It is interesting to not that all the $1300+ chips back up the manufacturers warranties.

Cheers

The thread I was referring to when I suggested that the op really doesn't put up a thoroughly convincing argument is... http://www.navara.asia/d40-accessories/3275-chip-saying-hi-d40-accessories-forum.html I believe there is also a D22 thread on the same topic.

Bear in mind I have not tested these chips and I am in no way suggesting they don't work just that the op seemed to avoid several answers to direct questions by spinning the same story as he had in previous posts which didn't fully address the questions. I thought in parts the thread lacked proof of some of the claims and that the avoidance of several easy to answer questions showed a lack of product knowledge or something to hide. I'm happy to be proven wrong but in 8 pages it hasn't happened so it's kind of hard to suggest it will.

Put a $3000 VMS up against at $3000 chip and I'd probably still choose the VMS but if I was comparing a $500 chip and a $500 stereo the stereo would always win. Just like will said, you will enjoy the stereo every kilometer, the chip you may only enjoy on the hills of the Kimberly's and even then the Nav will do that trip without the chip, but will you survive without a decent stereo and only the family to listen to?

We tow a 1.8T double axle van with ours, no chip and no worries.

My towing issue is mainly where i tow the van. Living in the Pilbara we always venture north rather than south which ultimately takes us into the Kimberlies. Driving from Broome to Kununurra is like being on a huge rollercoaster. I just thought having a little extra power would stop the vehicle from continually changing gear and help with fuel usage.

I value everybody's opinions so i guess i will now research double din stereos with all the fruit. Ant suggestions?

The thread I was referring to when I suggested that the op really doesn't put up a thoroughly convincing argument is... http://www.navara.asia/d40-accessories/3275-chip-saying-hi-d40-accessories-forum.html I believe there is also a D22 thread on the same topic.

Bear in mind I have not tested these chips and I am in no way suggesting they don't work just that the op seemed to avoid several answers to direct questions by spinning the same story as he had in previous posts which didn't fully address the questions. I thought in parts the thread lacked proof of some of the claims and that the avoidance of several easy to answer questions showed a lack of product knowledge or something to hide. I'm happy to be proven wrong but in 8 pages it hasn't happened so it's kind of hard to suggest it will.

Put a $3000 VMS up against at $3000 chip and I'd probably still choose the VMS but if I was comparing a $500 chip and a $500 stereo the stereo would always win. Just like will said, you will enjoy the stereo every kilometer, the chip you may only enjoy on the hills of the Kimberly's and even then the Nav will do that trip without the chip, but will you survive without a decent stereo and only the family to listen to?

Ah yes, i have read that thread from start to finish. I have emailed the company concern and am yet to receive an answer. Ideally, i would like a 'ligitimate' D40 auto owner to jump on the thread and give us some benefits. Reading so called 'testimonials' on a company website pushing it's on product has never sat well with me. Having said all that, if someone can prove to me it is worth getting a chip and at about the $700 mark then i'll get one.

Ah yes, i have read that thread from start to finish. I have emailed the company concern and am yet to receive an answer. Ideally, i would like a 'ligitimate' D40 auto owner to jump on the thread and give us some benefits. Reading so called 'testimonials' on a company website pushing it's on product has never sat well with me. Having said all that, if someone can prove to me it is worth getting a chip and at about the $700 mark then i'll get one.

That does seem to be the issue, a lack of proof. It's easy to say "we did this" and "we did that" and it's even easier to say "our testimonials say we are great" but they are just words on a screen, the viewer has no proof they are legit. The other thing that bugs me is that these dyno charts that may or may not be seen are as equally easy to fake, I could create one in Photoshop in 5 mins. I'm not suggesting any company on here has done that but it is possible and for me just not convincing enough. Some things have to be seen to be believed. As much as I'd use the net to gain knowledge on such a purchase I'd never buy one without first seeing it in action, but then that's just my theory I'm sure many people have brought many different branded chips from fleabay and the like and are happy.

Latest posts

Back