Ipf fatboys

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm fairly sure they don't come "cheap". They're a good globe, they dramatically improve the amount of light output by the headlights, but unless you can get them in a liquidation sale or something, they'll set you back about $160 or $170.

I've looked around for them in several stores and only ARB here seems to have them.

Control of a product/market equals no competition on price. Of course, it could be argued that no other globe comes anywhere near them for light output either....

I've had them in my D40 for ages and would never go back to standard globes. If only I could get an equivalent in H7 size for my Mercedes...

While Dave gives you an alternative that is brighter with less power, there are constraints that you must be aware of if you want to ensure compliance with the law.

HID headlights require an automatic headlamp levelling system in the vehicle, which our Navaras don't have.

I've never heard of someone getting a defect notice for their HID lights for this, but an inspection of the vehicle after an incident may cause some liability for the incident to fall upon you, even if you were totally not at fault.

I'm not trying to promote the "we all gotta follow the law" rule. I'm just trying to remind people that after an incident, the vehicles may be impounded and thoroughly examined for roadworthiness. This impacts on your insurance, and your potential liability in the incident.

Of course, we all hope that never happens!

Go a decent HID kit.

Dave.

Unfortunately it is illegal to convert halogen headlights to HID headlights in Australia for a myriad of reasons, some of which Tony has already covered.

Probably not a good idea (especially for a moderator) to suggest people perform illegal modifications to their vehicles....but that's just my opinion.

i have phillips blue vision 5000k bulbs in my navara atm but i'm not all that impressed, does anyone know if the fatboys are alot better than the phillips or maybe i need to adjust my headlights even though the car is brand new?

All because some politician who hasn't got a clue about HID hasn't said yes to running HID's in vehicles not running them from the factory.

I never ever get flashed in my Nav because of HID headlights, the headlights have the cover reflector in them.

If it comes down to the HID's saving my life because I can see better and maybe copping a fine then so be it.

Since I dont get flashed obviously they aren't effecting everyone else on the road.

Dave.

You're obviously driving in the wrong places, come down here and go for a drive through St Kilda day or night it wont matter you'll get a flash.

Oh then don't come to St Kilda, there is nothing good about most of the flashes you see there

Can I recommend you dont buy the fatboy globes. They are very over priced and make no noticeable difference compared to other globes like the Philips at much cheaper prices. I was extremely disappointed with the set I had even though I was running twin relays and a new wiring loom to the headlights. I took mine out and now they float around as very expensive spares in case my HID kit stops working.

Ian

Can I recommend you dont buy the fatboy globes. They are very over priced and make no noticeable difference compared to other globes like the Philips at much cheaper prices. I was extremely disappointed with the set I had even though I was running twin relays and a new wiring loom to the headlights. I took mine out and now they float around as very expensive spares in case my HID kit stops working.

Ian

Sooo......another one who would recommend an ILLEGAL modification in preference to a LEGAL replacement part.

I'm sorry, but I cannot support this trend.

Whether you agree with it or not, the fact of the matter is, replacing your halogen bulbs with HID is illegal. Full stop, no correspondence shall be entered into. If you don't like it, go lobby to your hearts content with your local politicians and your roads authority.

Until then, all illegal mods deserve to be picked up and hit with a defect notice.

The legality issue has been raised Ants, I'm pretty sure we can make up our own minds now on whether or not we want to do it. I personally dont because I reckon the D40's lights are pretty damn good already.

As for a mod recommending an illegal mod, I can't see any issue with that either. Dave is not some kind of God (Though he may tell us different lol) that has to be obeyed and has to lead us all by example. He simply helps keep control of the forum. He is human like the rest of us and can do whatever he pleases with his vehicle. If that may be an illegal mod then thats his gamble not ours.

Thats just my 2c worth though.

Go Fatboys Go....

I thoroughly recomend them,
I replaced my Std Globes in my Lifted NM Pajero and oh man what a difference they made.... was only flashed a couple of times from memory and I had the Paj for 7 1/2 years.

It didnt seem to be an Issue with the Law over here in the West I've seen brighter lights on Sedans

:cheers!:
Matt

Squeezy, Shaun, but doable. Have to peel the rubber boot off and unclip them, they're a standard spring-clip mount. You should check that you have the right lights - don't take for granted that they've dropped H4s in there!

Is there any difference between IPF Fatboy's you'd buy at ARB or from America? I'm assuming that its the headlight relflector that controls the beam for left hand drive cars and a bulb is just a bulb??

After finding out there is no warranty on them from ARB at $160 a pair I figure I may as well save the extra cash and order from overseas for cheaper.

Latest posts

Back