D22 Boost Gauge Install

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markusTAS

Reaction score
Hey people, first post!
I got given a vac/boost gauge from a mate who did an engine swap and now no longer has a turbo.
I want to hook it up to my 1997 3.2l Nav.
Just not sure where is the best option, I have attached a couple of pics.
I have been told that the screw (as in image 0660) on the back of the 'Denco' intake pipe, can be removed and the gauge pipe (with the right fitting) can go into that.
Someone else said that the blue pipe to the wastegate is the place to have it.

Just want to know if the first option I mentioned is actually ok or if that screw plays a role in something??

cheers for any help.

And yes I did search this topic, only found info for newer turbos.

Attachments

• IMGP0661.jpg
    IMGP0661.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,182
  • IMGP0660.jpg
    IMGP0660.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,060
  • IMGP0659.jpg
    IMGP0659.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 2,856
Thanks tweak'e, that's the spot I was hoping for.
Am I right in thinking that in this spot it will give the most accurate boost reading, compared to say the wastegate hose?
Also do you know what the brass screw is for?

Ah ok cheers, sounds like I have got the right spot then.
Also while I'm picking your brains (bit off topic), I noticed in your signature, you have 2" lift extra springs.

I'm also thinking doing this, and have read the post regarding winding torsion bars up.
Firstly with 2" do you still have plenty of clearance between your front bump stops? (some guy at pedders told me that 1" is the max I could get out of winding the Tb up if I still wanted the recommended 10mm clearance?
secondly is it as simple as adding an extra spring, or do you have to get the springs reset?
The same guy at pedders said it woud be AU$400 to reset the springs, but mentioned nothing about an extra spring.
(by the way my tray is empty most of the time, occasional load of wood that's all)

cheers, and sorry for being way off topic!

afaik theres still plenty of clearance on the front stops. you can do 3" but its sitting hard on the stops so not recommended. 2" seams to be fine. i havn't heard of any complaints.

i can't tell you what cleareance it is, mines been wound up/down so many times i have no idea how high the front has been raised. the other ute has 2" lift rear and stock front.

the rears had custom made extra leaf and springs reset because they had sagged so much it had gone inverted ! a couple of other guys have had it done but they fitted two extra leaves compared to our one.

Ok cheers tweak'e, good info!
Good to know that 2" is ok, as I couldn't really see the point of forking out 400 for an extra 1" lift.

Thanks again for the advice.

What Tweake said, perfect spot. Just wish Nissan put one of those on the ZD30 intake.

Dave.

Yep cheers Dave, it makes it a hell of a lot easier for me.
I checked with repco also and they have the right adapter also, so it looks like it will be a straight plug and go.

So I hooked the boost gauge into the space where the brass cap was, and went for a drive expecting to see it hit at least 7psi (sticker on the wastegate says 7.5psi), and it barely reaches 5psi, even when i give it some stick????
Does anyone know what I could safely run (without putting excessive wear and stress on components)
And does anyone know how you turn the boost up on this type of turbo??

So I may have lied a bit . . . . Going up the hills it does get out to 7.5 psi.
But Id still like to know if I can safely run it a bit higher??

what injection pump does it have? mechanical or ecu?

you can run more boost, the motor itself will handle it but the ecu may not, there may not be enough fuel being burnt to make a lot of boost which means its pointless winding the boost up.

check what fueling system you have, fit a EGT guage and then you can play with boost and fueling.

ok I'm 99% sure its mechanical.
I'm basing this on the fact that about a year ago I decided to run the old girl on half a tank of petrol for about 100km, needless to say this didn't go down to well, and to cut a long story short, it ended up meaning new injector pump, injectors and so forth.
Anyway my mechanic told me that in a round about way, it was an expensive way of also finding out that the current injector pump was not supplying enough fuel for the Turbo (aftermarket, was put on by previous owner) so when the pump was replaced they made sure it was supplying the correct amount of fuel. they did this from the pump itself so thats why I assume its mechanical??

Anyway, how would one increase the boost on one of these turbos (not saying I will, just curious), is their a screw or something??

you can probably adjust the waste gate arm a bit, however a boost T is a better way.

if its got mechanical pump and i guess no boost compensator then odds are winding up the boost may not make much more power.

Latest posts

Back