Alpine Diesal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scraps

Reaction score
Heading up to the snow is it worth putting the alpine Diesal in my d22. does it help at all?

I did a bit of research on it before I went to the snow a few weeks ago. Most people said that alpine was only really needed if the car was being left in high altitudes overnight, wouldn't be an issue if staying down lower at Jindabyne etc. I filled up at Cowra with what I believe was alpine diesel, couldn't tell any difference. We didnt get extremely low temps though either.

i think they need a pretty good cold snap to require it. I am a Qld'er so i don't really know haha

Agree with Matt's comments. I'm originally from Tas, now a Qld'er like both Matt & Woz, and have never heard of a need for it to be used other than for vehicles that are left parked out overnight or parked for an extended period in areas where temperatures are below freezing. The only time I've known it to be used was in the machinery being used to construct and maintain roads in the alpine areas where it would snow regularly overnight.

I'm of the understading that it is more of an "anti-freeze" than a performance addative of any sort?? Not sure what the freeze point of diesel is, but it'd have to be bloody cold.... cold enough to turn around and go home anyways IMHO!!!

Last edited:
I'm of the understading that it is more of an "anti-freeze" than a performance addative of any sort?? Not sure what the freeze point of diesel is, but it'd have to be bloody cold.... cold enough to turn around and go home anyways IMHO!!!

Diesel becomes waxy (not really freezing in the water sense) and can block fuel lines at very low temperatures. Australia is borderline requiring alpine diesel, it only just gets cold enough to justify it.

Diesel becomes waxy (not really freezing in the water sense) and can block fuel lines at very low temperatures. Australia is borderline requiring alpine diesel, it only just gets cold enough to justify it.

Yeah, thanks mate. I did realize that it doesn't exactly turn to cubes or solidify in the tank!

Below what temp is the recommended use?

I would think that if the vehicle is underway the heat generated both in the engine bay and radiated from the exhaust would still negate the need unless the vehicle is left parked up as previously mentioned? Do you agree? After all, its not Antarctica!!

As per Matts post though, alpine fuel is usually available in areas where the need may arise. So I guess when its available you may as well use it huh?

Yeah, thanks mate. I did realize that it doesn't exactly turn to cubes or solidify in the tank!

Below what temp is the recommended use?

I would think that if the vehicle is underway the heat generated both in the engine bay and radiated from the exhaust would still negate the need unless the vehicle is left parked up as previously mentioned? Do you agree? After all, its not Antarctica!!

The paraffin solidifies at 0 degrees C.

Basically just make sure you fill up somewhere in the foothills of whatever range you're visiting, then forget about it.

Once underway it's not too much of an issue as the pump cycles the whole tank through the engine bay fairly regularly, but if it's closer to -10 even that wouldn't necessarily save you.

Latest posts

Back