Career Change

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacknav

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about where my job is taking me career and money wise. I am almost 23 and have done an apprenticeship in cabinet making and have worked as a tradesman for nearly 2 years now, i enjoy the work. Prior to cabinet making i had also considered an electrical apprenticeship.

I have a keen interest in the electrical trade and looking for a better wage, just a little more than what most places in the cabinetmaking trade can offer me.

The local mines workshop are advertising for electrical apprentices and i guess i'm coming to you guys for advice as it seems most are tradies on here. I am wondering what i can be expected to be payed throughout an electrical trade, both as an apprentice and tradesman. Aswell as the associated career options.

Any advice or guidance you guys have to offer would be much appreciated.

Go for the mines mate, I think you would be a mature age if you started now.

A mate of a mate is a cabinet maker by trade and he got out and is now a labourer and makes more money. Its sad really as there is not enough money in the trade to keep guys on.

Look in the jobs section of the mercury on wednesdays, my Ex's father is head of the Electricians at Wambo.

Dave.

It is really sad, i really enjoy the cabinet making trade but cant see myself making a decent enough living off it.

Have you seen JA Martin ? There huge, just dont go through Master Builders as there dicks.

Another one to stay clear of is AXIS in newy, I haven't got many nice words to say about them aswell.

Dave.

I have only just seriously started considering the change when i found out about the local mob offering apprenticeships. Figured im better to do it now rather than later if i am going to do it. Ill also consider the above mentioned. Thanks

I have seen a few cabinet makers want to get out of the trade, mostly guys working on kitchens.

I'm a sparky, jump at it if you get the chance mate.

Go for electrical ditsrubution trades with power authorities eg. linesman, jointer or fitter-mechanic. Better rates and plenty of overtime and on call work without having to go out to the mines. Most blokes double their base rate with overtime, call-outs and allowances. Larger authorities are more likely to put on mature age apprentices too.

Some weeks i'm pretty much over tiling, but with comitments and family its something you just shrugg off. Plus the cash jobs on the side to pay for nav upgrades is a bonus, mrs would never let me get them if she knew the real cost..god i hope she never reads this forum :D

Go for electrical ditsrubution trades with power authorities eg. linesman, jointer or fitter-mechanic. Better rates and plenty of overtime and on call work without having to go out to the mines. Most blokes double their base rate with overtime, call-outs and allowances. Larger authorities are more likely to put on mature age apprentices too.

I second that, got a mate with ergon. Super easy job but man when it storms and the like he just makes a killing. sickning really

Good at Maths ?

Try and get into Maquarie Generation, you will be set for life.

Hunter Valley training company do apprenticeships, a mate of mine is with Power Serve and is making a killing, he is a liny though.

Dave.

OK guys, what do you's think. I'm 33 years old.
I'm a Plant Mechanic by trade with more then 14 years experience, 8 of it in the mining industry, I make really good money that lets me buy anything I want, BUT! every day I go too work I feel like blowing my brains out. I only do it too give my missus the future she deserves, but I've had a gut full of it.
Any suggestions?

Just do it. I sort of did the same thing in June - quit a job I had held for 20 years in a technical trade to essentially work as a labourer making more than double the money. Only regret is that I didnt do it when I was your age.

i think the most important part is being happy, no point going to a job that stresses u out and makes u angry

Mate I think you need to do a cost/benefits analysis (flash way of saying pros and cons list). For example in the pros you have your age, you enjoy electrics, you would earn more money, you would get another trade etc.

I was doing an Economics degree at uni. Finally had the realisation that I was going to end up in a bank or govt dept. Weighed it up and became a Teacher. Sure I could earn more elsewhere, but I got a job for life, more holidays than surely nearly any other job (which is great for my family). What I am saying is, you gotta figure out what's important to you and will the change provide it? If not, you can always go back to Cabinet Making (or Tiling LLadnar).

Also it's always good to have a change. I've had a gutful of Brisbane, so want to teach up north- change is good, embrace it :)

A couple of quotes by god knows who come to mind:

No man ever laid on his deathbed and wished he'd spent more time in the office.

If you enjoy what you do you'll never work a day in your life.

If you're looking at being a sparky, look at the refineries in Gladstone and try and get in as an instrumentation/electrician dual trade apprentice.

Those bastards can pretty much write their own cheques once they're qualified.

leave. i was in the same boat 6months ago. had enough of a job i onced loved and over the town i lived in. i became a miserable prick to be around. so i left for a job on the mines. im now a shotfirer and love it. yeh down side is im away but im happier and i can provide for my family better.

if youve got to this point then i think you know what the answer is.

good luck

2nd what josh and crack said! I left my job recently to go to the mines( who else would be on the forum at 3:50am) yes it's hard to leave your house but once your here, your week flys by... You get a whole week at home and at your age mate, if you save your penny's you can pick and choose what and where you wanna be by the time you get to my age.... Wish I was smarter and come here earlier!

After 15 years on the tools, and the only two options for career advancement being the mines or management (neither of which were palatable) I quit the trade and went to Uni. Got a degree in science & am half way through a PhD - the pay is shit, the hours long & it can get pretty frustrating. But at least I'm doing something I love and I never feel like necking myself at a factory gate!

In short - life's is way to short to be miserable, especially at work!

Last edited:
Back