Ok, who was it?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Reaction score
Road trip ends in disaster

A family's plan to drive the entire width of Australia ended in disaster when their satnav system led them astray, forcing them to spend three nights trapped on a boggy road in northwest NSW.

The 48-year-old man, his wife, 49, and two teenage sons were travelling from Brisbane to Perth in their Nissan Navara on July 29 when they were directed onto Darling River Road near Wilcannia.

Maybe we should run a tote on the real reason, was it:
An aging D21 struggling to play with the new boys,
A D22 whose driver was jealous of the D40 that passed them and couldn't handle the shame,
or a D40 where the bloke was too busy blow drying his wifes hair and couldn't see through the 80's style boof.

sadly its not uncommon. people do what the GPS tells them to rather than use their brains.

there was a case here where tourists got sent down a mountainous 4x4 track at night due to the GPS being left on "offroad roads". when they got to the end of the track they found the gate was locked !

also there was tv story about it in Europe where the GPS calculates the shortest route, which put lots of traffic down old oneway roads. even truckies (so called professional drivers!) where going down them and hitting houses on the extremely tight turns.

we get a problem when there is an accident or slip and the main highway is blocked. so they put the traffic through the country roads. now they have the routes all planned so traffic goes through roads that can handle the traffic. trouble is they see the side roads and can see it cuts across so they ignore the signs and go up the side roads.
so we get hundreds or cars, trucks etc going up a shit hole goat track of a road that normally only gets 5-6 cars a day on it.
people obey the gps rather than the signs.

I'll second the Navman comment. I asked my Navman to take me to Canberra. It got me near Mittagong and told me to "turn left, there's only 18km to go!". I'll never buy from that company again.

GPS navigation units are okay, but like their manuals (ok, who the hell just said "What manual?) say, they are no substitute for common sense and should only be used as a general guide.

I think the confusion arises when they become so exact, and precise, in the other 99% of the time - for the remaining 1%, our brains just can't wake up and smell the roadsigns.

Hi fella's

I was out that way during the last school holidays doing a bit of feral animal eradication (shooting).I got some rain and most of the roads where open but there was still water over some of the roads that where open.

Shane

Re The GPS comment . A couple of months back I was with a group of guys . We had organised a night run in Bushland near were I live .Reasonably tough stuff with Special stages and all , Any way it would have been 11.30 pm we were going home and found a streched limmo Chrysler 300c stuck fast in one of the tracks , With Drive in a Tux and cap Waving us down. Asked what he was trying to do he told us that he often took short cut routs to save time . We just Pissed our selfs laughing and pulled him out .

I will see if i can get some pic's of my friend to post.

Attachments

• 300c_pic_2.jpg
    300c_pic_2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Yep some people are sheep and wont think before acting.

Thats probably why our insurance is so dear.

Dave.

Yeah, pretty silly move. Endangering your family's lives on the say-so of a $150 GPS unit.

hows this though from news.com.au

"Nissan Navara ute towing a trailer"

"police from Wilcannia said they tackled "extremely difficult and treacherous" road conditions to reach the family."

the Nav got there with a trailer and the conditions were so bad it took rescuers 3 days to reach them.

GO THE MIGHTY NAVARA!!!!!!!

I loaded some NZ maps into my garmin and during a trip from Kaikoura to Hanmer Springs earlier this year (south island) it took us off the main road and about 10 mins later we came across a raging torrent of water! Nearly ploughed the kia rental car through it!

a mate had his GPS showing him that he was driving through the local sewage ponds ! LOL
tey are not always accurate.

Yeah I have had my old Navman showing that I was doing 100km/h through a farm on the way to Broke. Old Tony is probably the only person who has heard of that place. lol.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back