Looking for aggressive tires

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equipt

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking for a set of fairly aggressive tires for the Nav, I am looking for 31" or 32". I was looking at a set of Simex Centerpedes, untill I found out they are over $400 each for 32's, then I looked into the Silverstone MT117's (basicly a copy of the simex) but they are no longer imported into Aus.

So if anyone has any surgestions as to tires to look at I am all ears, as said before I want something aggressive as they will be a 2nd set just for weekends, and I am limited to a 32", I will also have to buy a set or rims, probably just a set of black 15X8 sunnies.

Thanks

I was considering Bighorns, but I think something a bit mofre hardcore like theese, but I dont want to pay $420 each plus rims, I would be up for $2000
Simex-ET.jpg

I have looked at the MTZ's but not sure, I think they are fairly $$$$$ too.

MTZ's, <FG MT's, Bighorns...they are just generic mud type tyres. Nothing close to the style of tyre that the 'pedes are, if you want a jungle type tyre which the centipede is.

Probably one of the most aggressive "off the shelf" tyres available from the mainstream manufacturers is the Kumho KL71. While I run the Mickey Thompson MTZ at the moment, I will be looking hard at the KL71 due to it's reputed cleaning abilities when I move to Tassie (and it's black soil mud) in 2 weeks time.

my bighorns are certainly louder than the old BFG ATs I had but not horrible. person preference on whether it bothers you or not, but they will be louder

thought this might help people a bit and others could add in some more if they wanted to:

Attachments

• Cooper ArmourTek STT.jpg
    Cooper ArmourTek STT.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 89
  • MT Baja Claw.jpg
    MT Baja Claw.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Maxxis trepadors.jpg
    Maxxis trepadors.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 90
  • Maxxis Bighorn.jpg
    Maxxis Bighorn.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 93
  • BFGoodrich AT.jpg
    BFGoodrich AT.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 94
and a few more...

Attachments

• BFGoodrich Mud Terrain.jpg
    BFGoodrich Mud Terrain.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 97
  • Kumho KL71.jpg
    Kumho KL71.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 109
  • Yokohama Geolander.jpg
    Yokohama Geolander.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Bridgestone Dueler MT.jpg
    Bridgestone Dueler MT.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 284
They're retreads, I wouldn't go anywhere near them, but that's just me. Saving $100 or $200 on tyres to have one come apart and do $1,000s of damage seems to me to be false economy.

Shame, they look like a tyre that'd eat its way through mud without any trouble.

hey mate slightly off topic..are the mtz loud?? i really want it when i get me tax $$ but really worried bout road noise...otherwise i would be getting the atz 4rib

Hi Nismo,

For the style of tyre they are, no, I would not regard the MTZ's as a loud tyre. There is obviously some rumble from the tread design, however compared to other mud style tyres I have used over the years (including bridgestones, the older design of BFG's among others) I would regard them as quite civilized.

One thing I am quite impressed with is their wear thus far. With approx 30,000km on them to date, they are wearing quite well. That being said, I am not one who "sets and forgets" pressures - I adapt them to circumstances and checks them weekly.

Hope that information helps you in your decision making.

They're retreads, I wouldn't go anywhere near them, but that's just me. Saving $100 or $200 on tyres to have one come apart and do $1,000s of damage seems to me to be false economy.

Shame, they look like a tyre that'd eat its way through mud without any trouble.

Their remoulds they don't give much trouble., I'm guessing that all he wants is the most aggressive mud tyres for offroad only, these will work fine. No point tearing up $300 BFG etc.

Their remoulds they don't give much trouble., I'm guessing that all he wants is the most aggressive mud tyres for offroad only, these will work fine. No point tearing up $300 BFG etc.

I'm not sure how much better remoulds are, but I am skeptical about them.

Those tyres were going for $1,095. At $300 a piece, 4 BFGs are $1,200. That's just $105 difference over the whole 4 tyres. With the average freight of $75 you really only save $30 and that's not a lot.

I don't see why the BFGs are still sitting on the shelf. I bet the BFGs carry a better warranty too.

Sorry if I'm harping a little, but I see too many retreaded tyre parts on the road where they've just disintegrated. Not the sort of thing I'd want while I'm driving - on OR off road.

I had 31" mickey t claws, they went well. Also had jungle trekker 2's, maxxis mudzillas (copy of the claws), and currently have Iroks and trepadors. Trekkers were good but probably least good of the lot, Claws and mudzillas are good tyres love the mud and slop, And the iroks and trepadors are just awesome.
35" mudzillas were only $300, 35" trepadors are $315, the 31" claws were about $280 but that was a few years ago.

All the info is great guys, keep it coming. I went to another tire place today and they quoted me $350 each for BFG Muds, they look like a fairly good tyre, but way over priced for a 31" I also had a look at the MT Claw, they where only about $315 for a 31" which is another option. I can get the Maxis Treps for about $275 in a 32", but I would need to buy some 15" rims, where as I have a spare set of 16X7's in the shed and can just chuck a set of 31's strait on them and save me $300 on buying a new set of rims as well.

I'm not sure how much better remoulds are, but I am skeptical about them.

Those tyres were going for $1,095. At $300 a piece, 4 BFGs are $1,200. That's just $105 difference over the whole 4 tyres. With the average freight of $75 you really only save $30 and that's not a lot.

I don't see why the BFGs are still sitting on the shelf. I bet the BFGs carry a better warranty too.

Sorry if I'm harping a little, but I see too many retreaded tyre parts on the road where they've just disintegrated. Not the sort of thing I'd want while I'm driving - on OR off road.

Yeah but BFG's don't come with tread like that!.

As with remoulds, personally I wouldn't put them on the family car, but as a second set to tear shreds off, then they're perfect for the job. I've had a few sets over the years just for that purpose.
I'm guessing just about every bus, truck, and taxi probably has either retreads or remoulds, So I think they'll be safe enough doing 40kph in the bush.

By the way those were 33's. IMO if you need a full on jungle tyre then you should be going 33" minimum, sloppy mud usually means deep ruts, so you need all the diff clearance you can get.

Last edited:
I'm going Procomp Xterrains once I've mowed the tread off the BFG's.

The BFG's KM2 look like cheese cutters I can't stand them.

Hi Nismo,

For the style of tyre they are, no, I would not regard the MTZ's as a loud tyre. There is obviously some rumble from the tread design, however compared to other mud style tyres I have used over the years (including bridgestones, the older design of BFG's among others) I would regard them as quite civilized.

One thing I am quite impressed with is their wear thus far. With approx 30,000km on them to date, they are wearing quite well. That being said, I am not one who "sets and forgets" pressures - I adapt them to circumstances and checks them weekly.

Hope that information helps you in your decision making.

thanks mate...d40 cabin is pretty tight so should be ok...dam they look nice

Back