SD25 to TD27

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian585

Reaction score
Hi

Im new to the forums.

I want to change my SD25 engine to a TD27 in my navara. I have a TD27 engine but not the correct bellhousing, starter motor etc. I have a fs5w71c manual gearbox.

I also have a bit of a limited budget of up to $1500

I have tried calling a lot of wreckers with no luck for a donor car for the parts i need.

I live near Albury / Wodonga.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you are prepared to wheel and deal, I have a TD27 with 245,000kms, manual gearbox (rebuilt 20,000kms ago at Wodonga Auto Trans at a cost of $3600), starter motor, transfer case package up for sale. They're in my vehicle now but I can swap them out in a heartbeat.

PM me about what you're after and we can discuss pricing.

After several weeks of negotiations with Dion that involved hundreds of emails, many phone calls & lots of coffee. I picked up the motor, gearbox & other parts today.

Attachments

• motor back.jpg
    motor back.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 169
  • motor side.jpg
    motor side.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 219
I have removed the SD25 & fitted the TD27 into the navara. Found the engine mount on the drivers side is different for SD to the TD. The other one is fine to use. The next major thing is the electrics. The wiring harness has to be modified.

Attachments

• sd25.jpg
    sd25.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 213
  • td27.jpg
    td27.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 159
One of the bolts for the SD mount goes in the red circle in the second photo.

Attachments

• TD mount.jpg
    TD mount.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 175
  • TD mount 1.jpg
    TD mount 1.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 160
After more than a month the TD engine is finally running. Had to make a custom wiring harness. Just have a few more things to do and its back on the road.

Gday mate, I am not far off throwing a TD27T into my D21 and I was under the impression it was pretty much plug and play between the two engines. Can you PLEASE to a write up with what you had to do? I like to have everything ready so it's off the road for the least amount of time. It would be a massive help.
Cheers.

The engine swap is mostly plug and play. There are a few differences between the two engines. The first one is the engine mount on the drivers side. Due to the location pin on the SD mount. In my basic pic the SD bolts to B & D. The TD mount bolts to A & C. The next difference was the power steering hoses. They wouldn't bolt into the steering box. The pumps were different so i couldn't just swap them. The distance between the mount & the pulleys was over 10mm. I swapped the hoses.

Attachments

• Mount.jpg
    Mount.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 75
  • SD power steering pump.jpg
    SD power steering pump.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 85
  • TD power steering pump.jpg
    TD power steering pump.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 84
Next the hand throttle cable connects to the TD differently to the SD. Its the same as the SD throttle cable mount. I made a rubber mount for it using some air con hose with an outside diameter of 19mm & inside diameter of 8mm. The inside diameter needs to be approx 10mm. I used a dremel to make the inside diameter bigger. Then i made two rubber washers from some rubber sheeting. I used some wad punches (They are used for black powder rifles). I used two mudguard washers to hold it in place.

Attachments

• SD.jpg
    SD.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 67
  • SD throttle.jpg
    SD throttle.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 59
  • hose.jpg
    hose.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 55
  • rubber.jpg
    rubber.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Punch.jpg
    Punch.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 55
Cheers for that mate, seems pretty straight forward.

would you be able to write up what was involved in making up the wiring harness?

Thanks for the help mate.

Back