Advice Wanted - Service & Oil Filter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velsheda

Reaction score
Just changed oil and filter on my 2003 STR 3.0. Previous owners records showed a service 6 months ago at 133,000 (7.5litres of oil used). The odometer is now showing 142,000K.

When I drained the sump it was closer to 8.5 litres and when I opened the filter housing it was almost dry and the filter was a bit squashed and oily but dry.

Has the excessive oil caused the oil filter to not accept oil or is there a problem with the oil pump?

The motor has been running perfectly.

Last edited:
how do you mean dry ?

there should be some oil left in the filter aera but if its drained out well it won't be much. oil filter should be black. if its white/yellow and completely dry then something majorly gone wrong.

what did you mean by "a bit squashed" ?

8 litres or sounds about right. how much comes out can depend on angle of vechile etc, how long its been sitting etc. if they don't let it drain out for a while there can be a litre of oil sitting up in the head and on the side of the block.

I undid the filter housing about 25 mins after I released the sump plug.
The filter was completely oil saturated (but not dripping). What I meant by squashed was that it was a little out of shape.

Thanks Tweak'e

nah thats fine. these use "eco filters". they should drain out nicly.

don't forget to change the O ring.

Latest posts

Back