D22 Timing Chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ST-R

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am interested to hear if there are any Timing Chain issues/Failures in the YD25 Powered D22?

Is this YD25 the same basic engine as in the D40?

There are references on the net about the YD25 engine having this drama overseas in approx 2002-2005. One post talks about a modified chain, but no production date is mentioned.

Just wondering if my 2010 build D22 would be likely to develop this problem.

Regards
Greg

there was a recall on the D22 yd25 non-CR engine (ie the earlier models) the timing chain tensioner had problems.
its a slightly different motor to the common rail version. your motor is basically the same as the D40 one.

just wondering if anyone has experienced any dramas with the late model D22 YD25 timing chains?

do we need to extend our factory warranties? hahaa...

Personally I wouldn't bother.

The YD25 has been out for ages, so pretty much all the bugs have been squatted.

Dave.

Personally I wouldn't bother.

The YD25 has been out for ages, so pretty much all the bugs have been squatted.

Dave.

ha the bugs are everywhere! I now wish i took the extended warranty.

My 08 d22 yd25 is only 6 months out of warranty. in the last 2 months I have done the starter, warped the manifold, had bolts come lose on the turbo, done an idler tensioner, had a power window switch go and now have it in to get the timing chain done..

was told by a top nissan guy that both the warped manifold and tensioner chain problems are starting to come up heaps now...

Highly recommend the extended warranty!

troy said:

My 08 d22 yd25 is only 6 months out of warranty. in the last 2 months I have done the starter, warped the manifold, had bolts come lose on the turbo, done an idler tensioner, had a power window switch go and now have it in to get the timing chain done..

was told by a top nissan guy that both the warped manifold and tensioner chain problems are starting to come up heaps now...

Unlucky!...

Unlucky!...

Don't Know about unlucky. The timing chain is definately noisy on the common rail model. Nissan's answer to me was that its acceptable for the chain to be that noisy and shouldn't have a problem as the engine is a little under power as compared to the D40 where they are experiencing problems. That gave me so much comfort to hear. What they were basically saying was that it would last till the warranty ran out then you might have problems. I'm embarrassed when i have some new in my car and asks why the engine rattles so much when it's only done 60,000kms. Gives me so much confidence in buying another one of their vehicles again. I still think Timing Belt is the way to go Most modern vehicles need to replace Timing belts every 100- 150,000kms .Provided you replace it at the right service interval you shouldn't have any problems with T - Belts.

I'm in the process of research/looking at getting a 2nd hand D22.... and I must say from what I've read on this forum, Nissan seems to have no aftersales service & seem to be pretty poor to deal with....

If/when I get a D22, I certainly won't be having it serviced or repaired by any Nissan dealer..... My local trusted mechanic will be the one....

Is Nissan's poor aftersales service & poor diagnose of problems "common" occurrence? or is it more so certain dealerships that is the problem?

We purchased a new Toyota last year and have nothing but good experiences with them.... I don't know what other vehicle makes are like when it comes to servicing / repairs / warranty claims, etc?

From what I read here I would be hesitant in buying a brand new Nissan

^ Nissan are a bunch of wankers. Thats mainly Nissan Australia though.

Doesn't help when dealers dont want to help, ie Never heard of it. Even though its a common problem.

muzza_ said:
Don't Know about unlucky. The timing chain is definately noisy on the common rail model. Nissan's answer to me was that its acceptable for the chain to be that noisy and shouldn't have a problem as the engine is a little under power as compared to the D40 where they are experiencing problems. That gave me so much comfort to hear. What they were basically saying was that it would last till the warranty ran out then you might have problems. I'm embarrassed when i have some new in my car and asks why the engine rattles so much when it's only done 60,000kms. Gives me so much confidence in buying another one of their vehicles again. I still think Timing Belt is the way to go Most modern vehicles need to replace Timing belts every 100- 150,000kms .Provided you replace it at the right service interval you shouldn't have any problems with T - Belts.

I agree with you. And trust me I go through this everyday. NissanAustralia. Do not want you to be happy. They do not want to help you or the dealer. We have Bo authority on warranty work unfortunately.
It doesn't matter to us what work we do. But Nissan say no, we don't get payed.

Hi all,

im new here...thinkin of getting navara d22. had same concern with the timing chain on the new d22 ST-R.... the dude i spoke with at the dealer said to me all issue resolved...

confirmation for the kw with the 2.5cr? is it 98kw or 110kw? before being chipped of course...cause ive been told its 110kw...

great forum, guys...i learned so much from it...

hi all,

im new here...thinkin of getting navara d22. Had same concern with the timing chain on the new d22 st-r.... The dude i spoke with at the dealer said to me all issue resolved...

Confirmation for the kw with the 2.5cr? Is it 98kw or 110kw? Before being chipped of course...cause ive been told its 110kw...

Great forum, guys...i learned so much from it...

98kw

Timing chains should last the life of the engine, unfortuately tho, the tensioners dont!

Dave...this is where my so called OLD TECHNOLOGY in chev V8's is best....their timing chains (oem or aftermarket) last forever...and no tensioners..."when ya on a good thing, stick to it"

I just took a phone call from a mate who has a 2011 2.5 common rail D22.
It had a noise coming from front of engine so he booked it in at Nissan for check up.. On his way to Nissan the timing chain let go and destroyed the engine!!
The car only has 46,000kms on the clock.
They are doing the engine replacement under warranty but does make you wonder what these things will be like out side of warranty period..

I also have a 2011 D22 2.5 so obvioulsy it concerns me a bit.. I was under the impression that this timing chain issue was rare in the D22.. and was more common in the D40.. Is this correct?

I guess I would like to ask peoples feedback on if this is rare on the D22 or not.. I cant find any real major failures on the D22 chain noted on this forum anyway.

I am heading off on a 12 month trip around Australia in mine at the end of this year into some pretty remote areas..

Any feedback on the D22 timing chain in the later common rail engines would be great..

Fingers crossed that my mates was just a one off rare situation of bad luck..

pretty bad luck right there, your friend should try and push them for extended warranty or something although I think its extremely rare, like most of it is probably hear say ie: from your cousins uncle friends sister in laws husband knew a mate who's engine blew up kinda thing, like the problems in the ZD30 patrols alot of it was people regurgitating what they had read/heard and alot of people have had no problems at all with their trolls.

how many K's you got under the belt??

Hi Greg, Your yd25 is at risk of timing chain failure as it has single row pump chain. Look at www.yd25.com.au for double row timing chain conversion kit for yd25. We have developed this kit as there have been many failures in the yd25ddti engines. Kit can be installed by us at our workshop. Cheers

Latest posts

Back