Felt like i was running on 3 cylinders

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodyD40

Reaction score
Had an odd occurance this morning as i left my own street to go to work ...

had to stop at the end of my street (a very short street) to 'give way' to a vehicle coming from the right - when clear, i proceeded to 'take off'. *STALL* oops - i tried to take off in 2nd gear.

Oh well, hit the ignition and try again. (this time in 1st gear)

Didn't take long to figure out that the car just wasnt running right. I thought about stopping in at Berwick nissan service dept on the way to work ... but i called them instead (as their number in on the inside service sticker on the windscreen).

Spoke to a Service team member, and after quickly explaining what seemed to be going wrong, the team member suggested turning the ignition off, and re-starting the car ....

Great, i'm doing 20km in 3 lanes of thick morning traffic - and i'm in the middle lane !!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness for the traffic light turning RED at just the right moment.

Killed the ignition, rolled to a stop, counted to 5 and then re-started the car. Yup - it came back to life PERFECTLY.

It seems that the system management being fully electronic these days had a slight hic-up (sorry for using lya-mans terminology) like a computer sometimes does. Nothing that a re-boot cant fix.!!
(wonder what Krafty would say about that? lol)

ahhhh ... happy that there is nothing wrong with my car afterall, so i quickly booked my wifes X-trail in for a service next week, since it's been about 12 months since last service (and she has only done about 7K in it).

it was suggested that either no. 1 or no. 4 injectors was not working properly - giving me poor idleing and noisy firing (like a pinging sound)

Glad that it came good, I have read alot of posts of turning them off and back on and they run fine.

My D22 has never had a drama, well except for the MAP sensor hose blowing off but that had no clamp on it from the intercooler instalation. So not a manufacturing fault of the car.

Dave.

I'd say "everything needs a good reboot from time to time it just depends how big the hammer you have is as to how effective that reboot can be."

The bigger the item that needs rebooting the bigger the hammer. Sledge hammers work well for that hard reboot Perthies need from time to time.

pmsl Krafty

thankfully i get on alright with my in-laws - really thankful because we only live about 15 minutes from them.

i leave the sledge hammers for computers that just aint worth fixing anymore.

Back on Topic though:
I'll probably look at doing the full reset of the system on the weekend (taking the battery leads off with foot on brake pedal thingy) as very well described in posts in this forum.

Vise grips are good for those stubborn mice that just don't want to work as well, no point going to the trouble of a sledge hammer for something so small.

Nissan had the leads off my battery the other day when they replaced the steering wheel and I've noticed no difference. Scangauge reported no errors previous and still reports no errors (not bad for a computer thats been running for 12 months I bet Microsoft can't achieve that, although if they did I'd be out of work).

My fuel readings according to SG weren't entirely accurate before the car went in cause I'd been deliberately making errors in the fuel figures on it for a while too see how badly I could effect it's so called real time recording, however they very similar on the same stretches of road to what they were before.

And I've noticed no marked improvements or degrades since the leads were removed. Then again I wasn't unhappy with the car before the leads were removed so with some luck it might fix what ever problems you might have.

Krafty

The Nav is working perfectly (it is a nissan after all ... LOL) - it was only a minor isolated incedent yesterday morning that had me worried briefly. It behaved itself beaut last night on the way home from work, and again this morning back to the slave pit.

As for non functioning Mice ... i give them to me 4yr old son, who swings them around his head like a helicopter by their tails .... doesnt take him long to hit something with it, and then its toast (together with whatever else he hit).

Did Nissan suggest you should bring it in or only if the problem kept happening?

Each to their own and I'm not interested in starting yet another debate because like you say it's been done in another thread but I don't reckon simply pulling the leads does as much as some people suggest but it's not going to hurt if you have nothing better to do this weekend.

If you want more of your house demolished let me know I've got a collection of dead mice here which could look good as wall hangings in someone elses house.

Latest posts

Back