help identify a noise in the front end.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewD

Reaction score
Every so often when the wheel travel extends to the downward limit on the front end of the d22 I get a metal on metal sound. It doesn't always happen but when it does it is usually on a sharp, sudden downward movement. In saying that is has happened when starting to reverse up a steep incline and the weight of the vehicle goes to the front end.

A mechanical sound friend and I have checked every component up the front including the steering and suspension, cv joints, engine mounts, bump stops, body mounts, etc and can't find anything that is worn out or rubbing. It will occur in 2wd and 4wd.
My only thought is that it is the shockies are slowly wearing out and making the noise when fully extending?? But the car still rides fine with no issues to the steering or suspension.

Has anyone else had this problem or possibly give me an idea to what it is?

Cheers

Nah there is no noise at full lock. It doesn't appear to be the cv's or the turning stoppers rubbing.

Thanks Rufus. The one thing I haven't checked were the torsion bar bushes. That could be the caulpret.

Cheers.

I have jacked the ute up a couple of time with the wheels off the ground and released it quickly but no noise. The suspension has to move downwards very quickly to make it happen.

Last edited:
Had a look at the torsion bar bushes and they appear toe fine. I don't think its the shockies touching the wishbones Dave. They have been on the vehicle for 100,000km and its just been happening for the last 6 months but doesn't seem to be getting any worse. But I never heard it before that.
I'll keep at it and see if I can find the problem.

Had a look at the torsion bar bushes and they appear toe fine. I don't think its the shockies touching the wishbones Dave. They have been on the vehicle for 100,000km and its just been happening for the last 6 months but doesn't seem to be getting any worse. But I never heard it before that.
I'll keep at it and see if I can find the problem.

Well the shocks were probably stuffed about 50,000k's ago. I'd replace them anyway.

Think I'm havin the same problem as AndrewD as mentioned above? Wonder if he found the problem. Only happens to front right when fully extended and then starts retracting.
Anyone point me in the right direction?
Cheers

Think I'm havin the same problem as AndrewD as mentioned above? Wonder if he found the problem. Only happens to front right when fully extended and then starts retracting.
Anyone point me in the right direction?
Cheers

Just wondering if you guys adjusted your torsion bars around the same time?

If the sound is like 2 pieces metal scraping together under force (loud creaking) it could be the torsion bars have been jammed up hard against the control arm. Or like the Vid, bushes need some grease.

I'll have a look tomoz, not sure if mine have been adjusted from standard before I got it?
Dunno much about torsion bars do I'll search a few threads first!
Sounds like could be the problem though..,
We'll see...

I had this sound in my 09 d22 after 10000ks. It's was front body mounts falling out cause of shit material. Have a good look at ur mounts.

Goodluck

Think I've fixed it, kept forgetting as only happened occasionally.
Cleaned and greased the steering stoppers so we'll see, tested it and seems fine.
Easy fix if anyone experiences similar...

Hi All...

We have an 08 STR with a very annoying knocking (sounds like metal on metal) noise over around the passenger side. I've had my head under on the floor over the most rough roads to try and pin point it but cant see anything thats loose?

I've noticed the noise isnt there when the car is off road in mud like the mud is stopping what ever metal on metal noise until it drys off.

Does anyone think this noise is like the above posts? Starting to piss me off.

Oh and only one speaker now.. just over 2 years old and it seems like the girls falling apart.

Help!!

Cheers Krystle

:hmmmm:I had a funny noise in the front end when I was reversing out of a car park !
So then I could hear noise all the time . On inspection the front wheel bearings had play in them ! I had the car serviced today . went to pick car up and the Mechanic told me the bearings were fine that he cleaned them checked them and repacked them !
Holy shit . Noise Gone !

Latest posts

Back