D21 KA24DE - Dion's Other Navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dion

Reaction score
I've started another thread to keep my QD32Ti build log thread relevant.

Quick run down, '89 dual cab 4x4 Navara, five speed manual, gearbox just rebuilt, dual fuel. Blown Z24 (now the property of D21 dualcab Z24 4X4).

So, here it is arriving on my lawn:
BuildLog010_002_Medium_.jpg

And, here it is parked on my lawn:
BuildLog012_Medium_.jpg

Here's the new motor waiting to go into it.
OtherNavara001_001_Medium_.jpg

From another angle. It's a KA24DE from an 04 D22 4x2 manual with 60k on the clock.
OtherNavara001_002_Medium_.jpg

Last edited:
What are you eventual plans Dion? Selling one or keeping both?

Selling this one in November, it's just a temporary vehicle to use while the diesel is being chopped. And it's a bit of an experiment as well.

Good build Dion.

If its been sitting for a while check the seals out.

Will watch this build.

Dave.

For the_bluester:

The loom ECU connector I have (2004 D22)
OtherNavara002_002_Medium_.jpg

The ECU connector I have (97-01 D22)
OtherNavara002_001_Medium_.jpg

Note the white loom connector is 3/4 the width of the blue ECU connector.

Dion is that a KA24E computer ?

Dave.

Good question. It's got 8X01 on it which I hope is the build date, which would mean it's post 1999 and being from a 4x2 it would therefore be for a KA24DE - however since it's mail-order from a wreckers it could be the handbrake from a Lada Niva for all I know.

Last edited:
Definitely a different creature to the skyline ones I have played with. The late skyline ones might be like that but the early Nissan ecu I think was a license made relative of a Bosch jetronic

Definitely a different creature to the skyline ones I have played with. The late skyline ones might be like that but the early Nissan ecu I think was a license made relative of a Bosch jetronic

No worries, cheers for the advice bluester. The search continues :idea:

90's onwards Nissan's run a Hitachi ECM I though.

When did the second gen Nissan computers come in ? Be buggered if I can think of the name they call them.

Dave.

They were a JECS ECU but had a lot of Hitachi parts in them. I did a bit of googling this time, early Nissan ECU's were a JECS/Bosch L Jetronic and the next generation were LH Jetronic with a change to a hotwire AFM rather than a flap AFM.

I think by the looks and description of the Wiki page I found, the late 90's Skylines probably use the same connector as you are looking for, R33 onwards I think. I have not bothered with the R33 myself, too big and flabby compared to the R31 which I have and the R32 which was the other I considered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Electronic_Control_System_Co.

The two pics show the difference I reckon, the early LH jetronic has the type of connector I had (I have aftermarket management on my car as the ECU was old and no one at the time I was trying could remap it. The later ones are much more difficult to remap, I think the map data is basically encrypted in those ones. Remapping is very popular in the cars up to the R32 and in the ones after that it is more common to see plug in aftermarket management.

That would be one way you might be able to go now I think of it, the likes of Haltech do aftermarket ECU's with plug in patch looms to hook the aftermarket management up to the stock engine loom, they must be able to get hold of the plugs to make the patch looms.

So, the present hitlist of issues that have to be resolved as part of this swap:

- Source compatible ECU. DONE
- Replace missing distributor. DONE
- Replace missing crankshaft pulley. DONE
- Source compatible alternator. DONE
- Fit Z24 sump to KA24DE.
- Fit Z24 oil pickup to KA24DE.
- Modify Z24 air con compressor mount bracket to align correctly with crankshaft pulley as replacement for missing KA24DE air con belt tensioner.
- Modify Z24 power steering pulley tensioner bracket to align correctly as replacement for missing tensioner.
- Fabricate surge tank
- Source EFI fuel pump.
- Create new intake path using Commodore airbox

Hit list for converting the existing LPG system for the KA24DE:

- Modify LPG mixer to fit over throttle body.
- Add resistor bank and relays to trick ECU when running on LPG.
- Tune LPG system.

And the hitlist for improving the general vehicle condition:

- Source new steel tray. DONE.
- Remove old tub. DONE.
- Modify, fit and paint steel tray.
- Front end conversion to facelifted style, respray panels in vehicle colour scheme, to replace damaged panels.
- Source new tyres. DONE

Last edited:
Back