More power to 2,5 diesel, how??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OKey, i want more power in mye 2007 navara , its a 2,5 diesel with 174hp.

Thinking of: airbox mod
egr mod
chip, witch??? links
New Exhaust? witch? links

Will i notis much diffrence? is it worth the money?

The EGR mod won't cost you anything except a little time spent with a pencil, saw and file on a scrap piece of stainless steel sheet.

Not sure why you want to change the airbox, except to fit a snorkel. The turbo ensures plenty of air gets in.

Chipping produces results, people get reasonable results from a 3" exhaust.

Diesel gas will give you the biggest performance improvement of any individual mod. An LP Gas cylinder is fitted (that you have to fill regularly) and as you drive, a small amount of LP Gas is injected into the airstream and combusted. Both economy and power are markedly increased. I don't know what this costs, but hopefully someone like Martin will come along and give you some more info on this.

read on the clubfrontier forum that many people did some mods to the airbox and noticed a littel better response and a better sound.

never heard about the diesel gas.

Been around for a while now , I have on mine get good power and far better economy that chipping the engine , do a search at this forum chips or economy lots of reading to be had

Dont be one of these wankers that fits those stupid cone filters to a diesel :focus: if you want a better sounding truck do the exhaust system

Marty

Diesels aren't about power - they are about torque. What you are using the vehicle for will help dictate the best way forward, so perhaps if you describe what you intend on using it for the members can suggest the best route for improvements.

To generalise however, an exhaust upgrade and chip will give you a decent improvement in torque output without compromising driveability.

I`m not gona mount a cone filter, just open the intake some more. I am using the truck to tow a trailer with snowmobiles, and some forest riding, so want it strong, a truck will never be fast any way, have a bmw for that:)

do you have links to the exhaust sits? har they bolt on?

read on the clubfrontier forum that many people did some mods to the airbox and noticed a littel better response and a better sound.

If you read it on the Clubfrontier forum then chances was it's the Petrol motor they would have been discussing, there is no Diesel option in the States.

Diesel airbox mod's

If you have a early model (Euro 3) then remove the baffle box halfway along the intake between the airbox and turbo and plug the hole (see picture of bit circled in red)
picture544o.jpg

then open up the airbox and cut the internal wall out which shortens the intake length quite a bit and removes the two 180deg bends before the air filter.

DSCF5360.jpg

DSCF5369.jpg

Last edited:
If you have an Euro 4 model (Late 07 on) then there is a small baffle in the air filter box that can be removed for better flow.

f10.jpg

It hides in the bottom tube of the intake pipe of the factory air box.
If you remove the air box (Only one bolt holding it in place) and then look at it side on you'll see three screws or some are just clipped in. Undo these and remove the cover and then you'll see the baffles.

See below picture to see side view of remove air box (the baffles are hiding behind the round part that has the white paint on it.

h10.jpg

I think those baffles are to help restrict any water that may get ingressed. If you have a snorkel then they are pretty much reduntant. I'll have a look at what the Thai version has, it's a completely different air box to the Spain one.

This mod could help with the low down torque and crap throttle response my truck has. Thanks JPMC very informative:rock:

So JPMC what was the improvement in doing the cut away of the air filter box? I thought the idea of these was to slow the air and at the same time cool it thus improving engine efficiency etc etc.

So JPMC what was the improvement in doing the cut away of the air filter box? I thought the idea of these was to slow the air and at the same time cool it thus improving engine efficiency etc etc.

Sorry for the late reply have been a bit busy lately.

If these were to slow and cool the air coming in then why do people get good results from putting on pod filters and why would you need an intercooler?

You don't get much fuel economy wise but it slightly improves throtle response.

I would have thought the improvement is all to do with air speed/volume, nothing to do with cooling.

A filter that lets more air through will offer less resistance to the airflow, so there's less struggle to get air into the engine - hence better filters do make a difference.

When the turbocharger compresses the incoming air, the air heats up. As anything gets hotter it expands (the individual molecules are more highly energised, and thus take up more space). With fewer molecules of air going into the combustion chamber, there's less combustion taking place - less power.

So, if you can cool down the incoming compressed air stream, you'll get more air molecules in, better , more aggressive combustion and more ponies out.

Just makin' sure it's all clear so those that don't know, know, and those that do know, know that I know, and those that didn't know before, know that those that know know that I know that they know.

I'm clear.

A filter that lets more air through will offer less resistance to the airflow, so there's less struggle to get air into the engine - hence better filters do make a difference.

When the turbocharger compresses the incoming air, the air heats up. As anything gets hotter it expands (the individual molecules are more highly energised, and thus take up more space). With fewer molecules of air going into the combustion chamber, there's less combustion taking place - less power.

So, if you can cool down the incoming compressed air stream, you'll get more air molecules in, better , more aggressive combustion and more ponies out.

Just makin' sure it's all clear so those that don't know, know, and those that do know, know that I know, and those that didn't know before, know that those that know know that I know that they know.

I'm clear.

Clear as mud thanks Tony.

My feeling is that the turbo soaks up so much heat from the exhaust that the intial intake temp is fairly insignificant once compressed and passed through the turbo, more important would be the temp after the intercooler.

So I'm saying ambient air temps influence the intercooling more than the intake charge.

thoughts?

Ambient temps would have an influence, but I'd bet it's not significant.

A Subaru performance intercooler can drop the compressed air temperature as it leaves the turbocharger from 240C down to 48C at the inlet manifold (this was measured on a dyno, so it didn't factor in wind chill effects).

A fall in the ambient temperature - coupled with wind chill - would make the intercooler provide even cooler air.

There is a limit to how much heat the intercooler can transfer in a certain time. You can improve that further by increasing the rate of heat exchange - and the cheapest way to do that is to spray a mist of water on the intercooler. There are mist systems designed for this exact purpose.

Latest posts

Back