Planning a trip up Birdsville Track

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodyD40

Reaction score
Guys, i'm thinking about doing a trip up the Birdsville track next year April (during Victorian school holidays). I'd like to find out a bit about how to carefully plan for such a trip.

Expected route would be ex Melbourne, past Mildura and upto Maree. Birdsville track upto Birdsville, then Birdsville developmental road until hwy's through to Charleville then to Miles, before turning south to meander down to Victoria again.

Some of the things i'd like to hear suggestions about is:

1) Preparing the Navara for the trip

2) Preparing the Off-Road Camper Trailer for the trip

3) Suitable overnight camping spots whilst going up the track

4) Other Tourist attractions along the way

5) Fresh food supplies en-route, etc

6) Once on the Birdsville track - how far to expect to travel in a given day (keeping in mind that this will be a trip with a few vehicles - families with kids)

7) Known spots for Fuel and Water.

8) Is April a suitable time of year for such a trip through this kind of terrain - or should i defer to a different time of year? (it seems that a few people are heading in this direction between now and September)

This is the first long trip that i'm planning through this region. Previous trips have always been a 2wd on blacktop highways - usually between capital city's, so this is a big departure from what i'm used to doing, and i'd like to do this trip with as much thought and care prior to taking off.

I did the track in 93 so I dont know if its changed at all but I doubt it. we did Wilpena Pound to Mungaranie in 1 day EASY PEESY. We even passed a bloke in a HQ wagon. The track is really a good dirt road and not a track at all, PROVIDED it hasn't rained and you will be tempted to let your speed go up. Be careful about that cos out of the blue there will be things like deep unmarked washouts where water has flowed across the track so you have to keep a good eye out. In Mungeranie we met several gray nomads who had spent a few days there waiting for the track to dry out. As we left in the morning we could see their tracks from when it was wet ALL over the track from one side to the other.
It's a good outback drive but it's not a hard drive by any stretch. Make sure you make time to go out to BIG RED while your there.

I did the track from brisbane in 08 i was loaded up the same a my pic if your in no rush its all good we took 2 weeks an free camp all the way (camps 5 with pic)

Latest posts

Back