Maxxis bighorns

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordo D22

Reaction score
so i had my stock dx rims and tires replaced last week with 245/75/16 bighorns on 16x8 steelies and thought i better give them a run this weekend. very impressed by them as they worked a treat in mud and rock to my opinion, much better than the cheese cutters fom OE. although not hard to impress as being first set of MT's. cost me 1950 for a set of 5 tires and 5 wheels. pretty good price i think.

so i had my stock dx rims and tires replaced last week with 245/75/16 bighorns on 16x8 steelies and thought i better give them a run this weekend. very impressed by them as they worked a treat in mud and rock to my opinion, much better than the cheese cutters fom OE. although not hard to impress as being first set of MT's. cost me 1950 for a set of 5 tires and 5 wheels. pretty good price i think.

Gday Jordo
A mate has them on his Triton and they seem to be awsome muddies.
Iv got KM2s and he easily follows me every step of the way.
Might give them a go next time im in the market for some new muddies.
Luke

I gave mine a few good tests during the week with rocky climbs, soft sand and finished it off with a mud bath yesterday and couldnt fault them at all! Very happy with my choice! I let them down to 15psi and very surprised with them in the sand.

What psi are you guys running on the road? Was told by bob jane to run 40, seems like a lot!

I run mine on 40psi so the weight is more so in the centre of the tyre as apposed to the sides which reduces wear, who knows if its right tho. Told that by quite a few seasoned 4wders

i had a set of 31/10.5/15 on my hilux and seemed to wear pretty good running 40 psi on road and around 12 to 15 was awsome on the beach and in the mud.
austrailian 4x4 mag did some testing on a fully loaded landcruiser they chose 15 different tyres and rated them for on road use , on road noise ,sand , mud , rocky terain ,wear ect bfg m/t came first maxxis bighorns second and bfg all terain third from memory forth was micky thompsons . when you start compareing prices i think i will put bighorns on the d22 when the time comes

Hey guys. Old thread but didnt want to start another one.

Pick my Nav up on Wednesday. Its got 265/75 bighorns on it. Was wondering what psi to run on and offroad. Emailed Maxxies and got a response straight away. They said to run them at 44psi on road and drop down to 35psi offroad.

Just wondering what all you other guys are running. I see a few are at 40psi, is this the go for the Bighorns? Also what psi are yous dropping to offroad?

Last question, what is the "4psi rule"?

Cheers

Pete

Hey guys. Old thread but didnt want to start another one.

Pick my Nav up on Wednesday. Its got 265/75 bighorns on it. Was wondering what psi to run on and offroad. Emailed Maxxies and got a response straight away. They said to run them at 44psi on road and drop down to 35psi offroad.

Just wondering what all you other guys are running. I see a few are at 40psi, is this the go for the Bighorns? Also what psi are yous dropping to offroad?

Last question, what is the "4psi rule"?

Cheers

Pete

I run my Bighorns at 36 psi cold on road. Off road I run them around 18 psi for mud and rocks, 15 psi for sand and on dirt roads if I can be bothered lowering them (if there are bad corrugations, potholes, etc, then I will) it will be around 25 psi. The 4 psi rule refers to how much your tyres increase in pressure from cold once they warm up. Ideally, they should increase 4 psi. If this is the case then your cold pressures are correct (for on road use). I have found that at 36 psi cold, the tyres run warm around 40 psi. 44 psi is way to high on road and 35 psi off road will see you chipping the sh*t out of your tyres on rocky terrain and provide a terrible ride.....

Great, thanks docp1980, helps me alot. I was thinking 44 was abit high. Generally how long do you tyres take to come up to prssure on road? Better do some test for myself actually and work it out for my usage.

Thanks again.

G'day Pete, the 4psi rule works really well although I have heard from the odd person that it didn't . Here's a link with plenty of reading on the subject.
4psi Rule
As for 35psi off road it would really depend on the terrain ie. how fast you will be driving. If it's a dirt road with some corrugations 35psi will be nice but for low range driving something around 22psi or less will be better.

Cheers Brad

Thanks Nevyn,
Saved that to have a good read later. Got the basics from the first half of the article. Will have a play with my pressures and see what i come up with. Got a compressor on the list of things to buy so might have to pick one of them up soon.

Cheers again guys

Pete

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back