Looking at 04/06 STR...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poita

Reaction score
Hi all,

Firstly, love the site, I have spend a lot of time trawling through threads learning heaps.

Currently I have a 99 Magna which we will be selling as I want more boot space. So we were looking at a wagon or a dual cab. Just me and the wife, no kids yet. Fishing trips down the Murray mouth on the beach would be the majority of the 4WD use with the occasional pulling the ski boat out of a slippery boat ramp. Otherwise a daily to and from work.

Took the MK Triton for a drive but wasn't super impressed.
Doesn't seem to be that much after market support for the Rodeo.
Hilux felt too much like a truck.
So that leaves the Navara, which I think looks the best anyway!

I have answered most of my questions with the threads in this 'Thinking Of Buying' section but have a couple more if I could get your advise!

The main reason I am looking at a Diesel is their reputation to last a long time. I will need to keep this car for quite some time. What is the rough life expectancy of the ZD30 before anything major needs doing? (assuming its regularly serviced). Are these cars expensive if something does go wrong? E.g. the Magna tends to start leaking oil around 150k and its a major service to replace all the seals and Mitsi spare parts are expensive.

From what I can find the Navara doesn't come with baby seat points. Are these possible to fit, and if so is it expensive?

I am trying to find one to test drive, but what are they like as a daily driver? My wife is convinced she won't like it as its a "truck".

Thanks in advance :)
Pete

Not sure about the ZD30 but no doubt someone will come along later and have that info. However most genuine parts are expensive no matter what car you go for so I wouldn't expect too much reprieve there no matter what the engine is. Cost is relative though, your not buying a $10K buzz box you are buying a decent car and for that reason servicing and parts do come with a price tag.

Child restraints can be fitted by just about any mechanic some people here and quoting around the $300 mark so if you have absolutely no idea how mechanics in your area shape up budget for double that and be pleasantly suprised, but they are definitely possible.

For me the D22's are a bit more agricultural (D22 owners say built for the bush) than the D40 which is a bit more of a limo (D40 drivers don't care what you say we know we chose right). I've never considered either to drive like a truck but then some of the trucks I've driven don't drive like tractors either so who knows. These things are bigger than you average family car and as a result of that they do feel bigger and drive differently but I wouldn't relate them to trucks.

G'Day Poita,

Welcome to the forum! I love my "agricultural" D22 and to me it doesn't feel truck like, especially if you leave it basically stock.

The D22 is no different IMHO to driving any other smaller family car, they are power steer, have small light clutches, a simple 5 speed shift manual and are what I'd consider a medium sized car from the inside. They are a bit longer than the normal car but you don't really feel it until reverse parallel parking.

The Navs are great so long as you have realistic expectations of them.

1. They aren't full "on" offroad vehicles without some mods and improvements although saying that, the D22 is pretty capable in most conditions.
2. They aren't sports cars so don't expect them to be fast or amazing handling.
3. They aren't soft and comfortable like a family saloon

1. They ARE good for towing

2. They are excellent for soft roading

3. They are excellent for carrying loads

4. They are good on fuel

5. They are really fun to drive! :rock:

I've modded mine a bit to suit what I want from my vehicle and it excels at everything I want it to do.

D40 is a luxury and bigger version of the Navara, wider, roomier, softer ;-) Others will sing their praises

Cheers,

DJ

g'day poita

check this thread out:
http://www.navara.asia/d22-general-chat/400-how-many-kms-your-d22-7.html

This will give you an idea of who's got what, how many km's and a few tips on any issues with the engines. I think I saw somone with almost 190,000km on theirs. I've got 110,000 on mine with very few issues, but there's always a bad one in every bunch

I'f you're after a 2004-06 then it'll have about 75-100,000km on the clock. Do the usuals of checking service records. Ask for receipts if really concerned. I have not heard of too mnay things wrong with the Nav's ZD30 and heard its better than the old patrol version (less likely to explode on you :)

Pretty easy to do your own minor services on them as well. Saves some $$ on oil and filter changes. Anyone on here will give you tips if you're unsure.

I taught my wife to drive my ute (she had an auto ford laser for 10 yrs) and she loved this truck. +1 from DJ on his comments about the good driving points and agree the clutch and steering is very easy on new drivers. tell her she looks awesome in it she'll be fine!

Plenty of second hand 04-06 STRs on car point with some nice mods done to them for between $20-25k too. Enjoy the shopping!

Welcome mate, my 2006 model D22 has 182,000km's on it now and still driveslike a dream.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back