Engine not turning over.?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noremac

Reaction score
I have an 07 D40 auto, and every so often when I go to start it with the gear selector in (P)ark it wont start I just get a click noise and then nothing, But if I move it to (N)uetral it will start first time everytime. Any ideas on what this could be.? Has anyone had this happen to them.? Was it expensive to fix.? thanks

The last auto I played with was a TD Gemini, it had an adjustment on the selector for the auto as it was doing a similar thing.

Not sure if the D40 has it but I guess it would do.

Dave.

There's a switch (sensor) inside the gearbox that tells the ECU that it's in a particular gear. I'd guess that the "Park" position isn't functioning properly. If it's still got some warranty left, take that back and get it fixed for free.

Yeah my guess was some sort of switch/sensor that was making it think it was in gear insted of park, warranty is just finished so sadly ill be coping the bill for this one, but hopefuly someone might know if theres anything I can do without having to pay someone else to fix it..

There's a harness connector on the right side of the A/T box that Nissan (in the manual) say is sometimes an issue. This connects to the TCM. I'm going to go outside and get underneath mine and have a squiz.

So much for accurate Manuels. There's a connector just forward of the transfer case on the left side that looks suspiciously like it goes in to the TCM (Transmission Control Module). Carefully pop it out, give both sides a quick spritz with WD40 or the like and reinsert. Try it again.

There's a thing in the manual about setting the cable up, but the sensors for noting what gear you're in are all inside the gearbox. Next step after this, if it doesn't work, would be to have that cable re-tensioned and after that, if that doesn't work, the TCM has to come out.

Removing the TCM requires emptying the gearbox of oil, dropping the sump plate and lowering the TCM out. There are two plugs on the side of the TCM (don't ask which side, I'll assume the left side since that's where the plugs go in). These apparently sometimes foul up as well. I'd say at this point, though, your car would be in a workshop somewhere and someone else is worrying over it.

Good luck!

Thanks for that mate, Ill take a look and see what I come up with, if that fails ill take it to Nissan.

Back