D22 1st gear high & Low range

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay_3844

Reaction score
First gears are really hard for towing. With 2 tonne on teh trailer I have to take off in Low 1, and slowly change from low to high, or else the clutch will just burn out.
I had to do a recovery last night (poor bloke), and low range reverse would burn the clutch something shocking.
How do i fix this?
has anyone else had similar problems?

what size tires have you got fitted?
what motor?

something sounds a little odd. no real problem here even when towing 2-3ton +1 ton on the ute. the biggest hassle is being able to put enough power down smoothly on slippery slopes. that usually means using 1st low to get off the slope then change up.

I was towing a EH back from Sydney about a year ago and on the slopes taking off I was in low range 1st as it was easier on the clutch.

Sydney traffic doesn't flow that well so when I got back on the flat and I was stopped I shifted back to high range. All done in 2wd by the way, best thing about manual locking hubs.

Dave.

I All done in 2wd by the way, best thing about manual locking hubs.

Dave.

I have not done any 4x4 driving, so I'm still learning about when and what gearing or when to use 2wd/4wd. I tow a 2 tonne boat and the first time I pulled it out of the water on a steep ramp last week it was a bit of a effort, so I can leave it in 2wd and go to low range. I was going to use 4wd next time but now will try low range 2wd.
This is a great forum and I'm learning heaps.

Just dont rev the absolute piss out of it as the low range gearing is delivering 2 tmes as much torque to the rear diff then normal. Drive it sensible and you wont have a drama.

Dave.

Sorry, forgot i posted this up.
Nah i've got the 3 Litre.
Got 265/75 16 mud tires on.
Ive started using low range to take off, just got to remember to unlock the hubs :)
But just for a recovery, on loose gravel, low range wouldnt even spin the wheels, just burnt the clutch so dunno whats happenin there

What he said.

Dave.

I had a tandem axel Coates trailer on one day stacked with furniture (box trailer) lets say 2 tonne. I struggled to get the girl off the line at a stop sign on a moderate hill. Had no choice but to go to low range, would that be clutch? Or at the end of the day shes just a 4 banger? Powers not that great off idle

I had a tandem axel Coates trailer on one day stacked with furniture (box trailer) lets say 2 tonne. I struggled to get the girl off the line at a stop sign on a moderate hill. Had no choice but to go to low range, would that be clutch? Or at the end of the day shes just a 4 banger? Powers not that great off idle

Ben thats exactly what mines like. But with 2 tonne of spuds, not furniture. But there isnt much power at low revs on these babies either, so id say its just the way the car is.

First gears are really hard for towing. With 2 tonne on teh trailer I have to take off in Low 1, and slowly change from low to high, or else the clutch will just burn out.
I had to do a recovery last night (poor bloke), and low range reverse would burn the clutch something shocking.
How do i fix this?
has anyone else had similar problems?

I thought you had to stop to change from Low to High and vice versa.

Latest posts

Back