Reversing camera for D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holty

Reaction score
Anybody have any ideas as to which revrsing camera is best suited to a D22 and where it could be mounted? I don't want to go the whole in-car DVD/CD path as I just upgraded the whole stereo system. Just looking for camera and windscreen fixed monitor. Cheers.

Steer clear of 2.5 inch screens that some of the cheap ones come with, do your best to find a place where you can get a decent screen to fit even if it's semi permanent and you have to move it when you aren't using it because the 2.5 inch screens just don't show enough. 4 inch screens would be the minimum I'd recommend (about the size of most GPS's) but if you can find somewhere to mount a 7 inch screen I'd really consider it.

As far as cameras go just make sure you get one with night vision, there are many different branded cameras out there but ones that can see at night are the only ones to choose.

Full kits can be picked up from ebay for about $100 these days which include all the wiring a 7 inch screen and the camera but it;s still worth shopping around for the one that suits you.

depends on what tray you have fitted to what style camera you use.
also what sort of use do you want to use it for. ie for actually backing up a drive/track or just seeing if kids are standing behind the ute.

some basics.... bigger the screen the better, go straight to 7" screen. screens that flip the image are better than having a camera that flips the image (so it looks like a rear view mirror). that gives you more camera options. muilitable inputs means you can run multiable cameras ie one short range, one long range. or connect dvd etc.

wired/wireless, wireless still require power and cabling is easy done on the utes and they pick up every other transmitter around to. so a bit pointless.

CMOS/CCD, CCD are generally far better than most CMOS but are a lot dearer. biggest thing is the amount of light they will work in. CMOS may not see into the shade very well.

color/black and white, color is better for reconissing objects but b/w work better in low light. most cameras will automaticly switch to b/w in low light.

resolution, most of the cheap CCD cameras are 420, still get 380's around. most really good ones are 550. but the sharper pics can be lost on such a small screen. one advantage of low res ones is they can work in low light better (for the same sized chip).

chip size, bigger is better. 1/3 is better than 1/4. the bigger it is the more light it can catch.

night vision, ie IR (infrared). try to avoid any cameras that have the led's behind the front glass with the camera. they often leak IR into the camera causing it to white out and you don't see anything. very much so when you have dust on the cover. some are good and mount the IR led's outside the camera away from the lens but remote mounted IR is best.

lens, most cameras come with wide angle lens (ie 2.80-3.8mm). great for seeing objects/kids close to the vehicle, ie within a few meters, but horrible to back the ute with. some places make cameras with tighter angled lens (6mm) which is much easier to see longer distance but you won't see the kids just behind the ute.

security cameras, reversing cameras are just board cameras just the same as a board security camera. so you can use most analogue security camera as a reversing camera. the good ones come with a lot more options so you can fine tune them better as well as being far higher quality.

i have a reverse camera on my d22, and i find that its extremelly helpful, when reverse parking, just make sure that it is a quality camera. mine is small and hidden in the dot of the numberplate ill take a photo for reference

hey holty i dont quite know the brand but the range on vision is enough to see the white lines when parking and a small amount of the car that may be parked next to you

if you look at my photos you will see the picture of the camera in the number plate, sorry about the brand, i got it with an entertainment package

No dramas Nick. Thanks for that. I'm starting to think that a GPS with a reversing camera may be the way to go... or my windscreen will start looking like a clothes rack....

yeah man once again i have fotos of a system that is in my car it fits perfectly in where the stock radio and that small compartment. it set me back a bit but you can install the head unit yourself although if your placing a reverse camera in i would get it professionaly done.
mine is a dvd player, has the radio, it has a cd player, i pod connector, usb port, sd card port, navman, tv, able to connect playstation, bluetooth, and inbuilt phone system (handsfree etc). its got it all, great setup and leaves everything cluster free

well u can buy a plug for the head unit u have nick which is what i got and one end plugs into your stock plug then to your kenwood unit. The reverse camera is not hard to install yourself u just need to know where to enter the cab from. i recomend an infrared camera as it also helps you see at night.

Anthony.

Think I've settled on the system I want... GPS (TomTom map compatible) with bluetooth and reversing camera... means I don't have to scrap the brand new JVC head unit. One of my best mates is an auto electrician so between the alarm, changing the remote unit for the central locking, speakers in the rear and now the reversing camera I'm going to purchase some serious bourbon ;)

Latest posts

Back