5" calmini lift

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwayne

Reaction score
im thinking of getting the calmini 5" liftand just wanted to hear peoples opinions who have either got the lift themselves, seen or knows someone with it. mainly want to know how the off road performance is going to be like over my 2" OME lift. i currently have 265/75/16s but want to try squeeze 33/12.5/16s under. not to fussed about the legal side or insurance.

apparently handling is awesum..offroad advanatage is simply clearance...flex is a lot beta ova 2" lift...but u do lose 1" clearance at front ifs for the kit..i want to get one but still saving...fkn $3500 ;-/

mates runnning 285's mick t's and looks pretty good.

thanks mate, yeh from what i have seen so far they look schmick. are you lookin at gettin the kit from snake racing? i have heard buying direct from us can save you a little coin... i gotta sell my dirtbike first to fund it lol worth it i reckon :)

yea apparently save $1000 if buying direct. I have sent many emails to US and no response. so il will be buying from calloffroad.com (direct supplier) in case shit hits the fan and i need to speak to someone..

u know that an engineers cert is required... more $$

i got a bloke who will do it for $200 and another guy on this forum was quoted about $1000 for the engineers 0_0

I can't see how the calimini kit would give better handling or flex, it uses standard springs and just longer rear shocks with illegal extended shackles. The front end is still using the standard control arms, springs and shocks so there's no benefit there either. Basically your paying $3500, for not much gain, a far better option is a 3" lift with new springs and shocks and a 2" body lift, same overall result half the money and a much better handling truck.

hey kingcab, what brand of lift are you refering to? any in particular which you would recommend?

hey kingcab, what brand of lift are you refering to? any in particular which you would recommend?

I wasn't referring to any particular kit, I was just making a point that the Calmini kit doesn't really do anything other than provide unnecessary lift.

I would recommend Radflo, king, Bilstein or Fox shocks with Eibach coil springs and Deaver leaf springs. They're pretty much the best you can buy.

I can't see how the calimini kit would give better handling or flex, it uses standard springs and just longer rear shocks with illegal extended shackles. The front end is still using the standard control arms, springs and shocks so there's no benefit there either. Basically your paying $3500, for not much gain, a far better option is a 3" lift with new springs and shocks and a 2" body lift, same overall result half the money and a much better handling truck.

im sure u get after market control arms and shocks...me n mate drove on car ramp each and cars body was straighter than mine (stock)

Hi Guys,
I have the calmini 5 inch lift plus another 2 inch body lift. Needed it to get bigger tyres under the Nav. No other way of running big tyres (I'm running 35's). There is a little bit of extra flex in the front but mainly the larger tyres give much needed clearance. A common complaint about the Navara (from what I see, and mainly for long wheel base) is the ramp over angle. Bigger tyres are pretty much the only way to improve it on the Navara. The best thing about the calmini kit is that it still handles (almost) like a stock truck. I had a Wrangler JK and had 35's on that, couldn't drive it straight. It would track and wobble and needed to get aligned after every single outing. Must admit haven't had a chance to take the Nav off road yet, but with a total lift of 7 inches and 35 inch tyres it handles like stock on road and that is pretty good if you ask me.
PS: I'm not a mechanic but the control arms were changed and are now fully adjustable.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
I have the calmini 5 inch lift plus another 2 inch body lift. Needed it to get bigger tyres under the Nav. No other way of running big tyres (I'm running 35's). There is a little bit of extra flex in the front but mainly the larger tyres give much needed clearance. A common complaint about the Navara (from what I see, and mainly for long wheel base) is the ramp over angle. Bigger tyres are pretty much the only way to improve it on the Navara. The best thing about the calmini kit is that it still handles (almost) like a stock truck. I had a Wrangler JK and had 35's on that, couldn't drive it straight. It would track and wobble and needed to get aligned after every single outing. Must admit haven't had a chance to take the Nav off road yet, but with a total lift of 7 inches and 35 inch tyres it handles like stock on road and that is pretty good if you ask me.
PS: I'm not a mechanic but the control arms were changed and are now fully adjustable.

35's, would be terrible offroad, the gearing is too tall with the standard 31's.

I suppose we will wait and see. I may have to modify diff ratios. Does look very nice though. Let's face it, the Navara is not the best off road vehicle as it is. It needs work.

I suppose we will wait and see. I may have to modify diff ratios. Does look very nice though. Let's face it, the Navara is not the best off road vehicle as it is. It needs work.

all the stuff u want to do to it..sounds like u should have bought a d22...more of an offroader

I looked into it a couple of years ago, there weren't any other ratio's available. The yanks use the stronger Titan front diff. We get a very week R200 in a aluminium housing. I measured up a front diff from a Jeep as a SAS option, looks like it would fit nicely but I don't have the time or patience to do those sort of mods these days.

I've seen 2 D40's with broken CV's using standard tyres, so I don't like your chances with the 35's. Good luck anyway and let us know how it goes, someone has to be the guniea pig afterall.

35's, would be terrible offroad, the gearing is too tall with the standard 31's.

I suppose it all depends on what sort of off roading you want to do. What I want to do doesn't require super low gearing, got enough of climbing rocks and going over some very rough terrain when I had the JK wrangler. I wanted something that would look great more than off road performance. A friend of mine that did the Jeep, also worked on the Navara and he assures me that this is one of the better kits (Calmini) that he has seen over the years. Mind you, there were parts of the kit that he didn't use and we had remanufactured something (not a mechanic so don't know exact details, but pretty sure it had something to do with CV and upper control arms?!?). Either way its done now. Looks so good though that even if I never took it off road I would do it again.
As for the D22, I love the way a D40 looks too much. I considered a Patrol ute, but the cabin was too small for my liking. :)

Last edited:
I looked into it a couple of years ago, there weren't any other ratio's available. The yanks use the stronger Titan front diff. We get a very week R200 in a aluminium housing. I measured up a front diff from a Jeep as a SAS option, looks like it would fit nicely but I don't have the time or patience to do those sort of mods these days.

I've seen 2 D40's with broken CV's using standard tyres, so I don't like your chances with the 35's. Good luck anyway and let us know how it goes, someone has to be the guniea pig afterall.

I had a similar comments on the JK forum (about being the guinea pig) when they came out and I did the 35's and big lift. There were comments about the axle ends needing to be changed, that they would bend and snap under pressure because of the large wheel and tyre and bigger offset. There were even do it yourself reinforcement ideas. Guess what.... I took that JK through it's paces and nothing. So if it happens... well bad luck. All the techs that I have spoken to say that even though there is extra stress on the joints, it's well within capacity.
I say build it how you like it!

Last edited:
i read here somewhere that a blokes d40 diff teeths grinded/sh**itself before the cv went...which i thought was strange

i read here somewhere that a blokes d40 diff teeths grinded/sh**itself before the cv went...which i thought was strange

Sure does sound strange. Oh well, another thing to change... I thought these were supposed to be good cars? From what I am being told doesn't sound impressive at all. :(

the way the US$ is at the moment. looks like a good time to buy from the states, worked it out today that it would be around AU$1450 plus whatever it is for shipping... I'm thinking of going this way myself, 1/2 the price than getting it from here.

the way the US$ is at the moment. looks like a good time to buy from the states, worked it out today that it would be around AU$1450 plus whatever it is for shipping... I'm thinking of going this way myself, 1/2 the price than getting it from here.

Don't forget over $1000 AUD you have to pay 10% GST and import duty. I suspect it would be around $2500 landed depending on air or sea mail. Not sure how Snake justify their markup though.

wouldn't that mean GST on what's above the $1000? i.e. $450 plus GST. whats the import duty? I've had stuff sent from US before but never had to pay that....??

Latest posts

Back