4th gear surge

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffd40

Reaction score
hi all
i have a problem with my 2010 ST, when it is in 4th gear low range at about 2000rpm it surges and cannot maintain a steady pace, seems like it is starving for diesel. it onle does it in this gear. Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi Geoff
Is it happening around 75-85 klmh?
If so it might be the transmission locking up which is considered normal.
Do you get a slight flutter noise from the left side engine bay area/turbo?
If so you are having problems with the EGR valve opening incorrectly at that load point.

hi all
i have a problem with my 2010 ST, when it is in 4th gear low range at about 2000rpm it surges and cannot maintain a steady pace, seems like it is starving for diesel. it onle does it in this gear. Has anyone else had this problem?

I had exactly the same experience on the weekend - only in 4th gear low range (so only about 20km/hr at a guess)

No problems in 2nd or 3rd gear at all - i thought it a bit weird. even made mention of it to my wife, who thought i was nuts - she didn't notice anything.

I thought it was a turbo surge or something ?
It felt like the car was lagging then surging ... but i was very careful to hold the foot steady, so i'm convinced it was NOT my doing.

hi all

way to much speed for low range. try high range. if it still does it its probably transmission wind up, if it goes away it could be ecu keeping from going to fast.

it does not do it in high range, i cant imagine i would use 4low very often anyway, but i tested it in every other gear, high and low range, and it only does it low range 4th gear 2000rpm. ill get the dealer to look at it next chance i get.

assuming D40 runs a neutral switch, it could be an issue with the neutral switch tho i would have expected it to play up in high range as well.

There's something I would probably never do, ever. Low range and let the thing get into 4th gear.

If I can go that fast, I'm in high range already.

If the "surging" is a safety device, it's a good hint to slow down. If it's caused by the binding up of the transmission, the transfer case will be taking a lot of the strain and stretching the chain and that could get expensive.

Must be an auto problem only, I always drive low range and run right through the whole box with no problem.

I'm currently reading the Manuel's diagnostic information for the auto box (AT.PDF, page 77 is where I'm up to) and there is so much communication between the TCM and the ECU to manage lock up, down and up shifting, forward and reverse clutches and brakes etc etc.

The bloody thing is a nightmare.

forgot to mention mine is a manual, it revs through the rev range alright, only does it when i try to hold it steady at 2000rpm. not a huge problem , can just avoid that gear/revs combination.

Latest posts

Back