strange problems after starting

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott W

Reaction score
Gday guys.
Just joined this site to see if anyone has had the same problem i've got. I have an 04 D22 STR 3.0. It's done just over 110,000. A while ago it started acting up when you do a cold start. It turns over fine but after 5-10 seconds of idling the revs drop to point where it nearly stalls. Just before stalling the revs take of to between 1000-1500rpm. At this point it also makes a very distinctive tappet noise. The revs then level out and it is fine after this. I put it in to ultra tune in January and it came up on their equipment as a throttle position sensor. After spending $600 on the whole accelerator assembly it still has the same problem. I put it into Nissan and of course it didn'tdo it when they had it.It also didn't code up and as they are useless without a little computer, they were no help at all.

Im pretty sure it has something to do with the accelerator position. I have an after market cruise control on it not sure if this may be causing a problem. If anyone has had anything similar or can shed a bit of light that would be a great help.

Almost sounds like a fuel issue to me rather than something electronic? Does it do this every cold start now? Next time before you do the cold start, open the bonnet, pump the primer on top of the fuel filter until its nice and hard then give it a crank and see if it is any different.

Just did a service 3 weeks ago including a new filter and it didn't make a difference. Will try pumping the primer. The cruise control is a command CM19L. It pretty much does it every cold start although after a long trip to torumbarry a couple of weeks ago it didn't do it all. I've also got a timer of in it. Would this be causing any problems?

a friend had the same problem with a vt 5ltr. He got a new throttle position sensor, and it did jack all. check the injector rail for any chaffed or rubbed thruogh wires that could be earthing out.

sounds like what mine does, normaly only on inclines, but any degree of incline will do it. except mine normal stalls and i have to prime it or keep turning it over till it finaly fires up. Nissan replaced the pump under warranty and said they had issues with them. Looks like they gave me another one with issues tho.

Funny you mentioned the earthing out. The old boy that bought it before me put electronic corrosion control on it. I was poking around under the bonnet today and found that a blue wire had come undone from a bracket in the engine bay and was dangling around the bottom of the engine block. Reconnected it and it hasn't done it all day. Fingers crossed. Maybe the bad earth throws out the automatic timing adjustment. Will see if does it in the morning.

Gotta agree with the other guy's.

Sounds like air in the fuel lines.

I would think the computer should be able to keep the revs steady at idle even if the potentiometre (spelling) is stuffed. Due to go to bed soon so I am allowed.

Press the primer a few times and then start the engine. What happens.

Dave.

Tried pumping the primer before but it did nothing. Wondering if putting it in for a full diagnostic and dyno tune

How would air be getting into the fuel?
because the IP is a suction pump, it sucks the fuel up from the tank. if there a loose seal or crack in hose air will be sucked in rather than fuel leak out (fuel is under a vaccum not pressure)
all the small bubbles can form together int the fuel filter causeing a big air bubble which basically starves the motor of fuel.

common places for air leaks is the fuel filter and primer pump. easy way to tell is to fit a section of clearfuel line, you will soon see any bubbles.

Latest posts

Back