Home made Nudge Bumpers

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deejay

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This morning I mounted the third and central Hella Rallye 4000 light on my bull bar and in doing so, noticed I was going to have to position the light about 20mm further forward than the adjacent existing lights, this would take it out protruding in front of the Bull Bar.

I figured better to sit proud than drill and hack into the grill to get the electrical wiring to fit right, and so started thinking about nudge bars to keep the light from copping a hit in parking lots. And from my missus "bumping" my car when garaging her falcon.

I went up to Clark Rubber on the off chance and low and behold, they had exactly what I was after. 300mm long "D" extrusions. Cost $29 ea. Off to Bunnings to buy hardware and 20 minutes later I had nudge bars.

They look sweet and will protect my front end just that bit more.

I'm very happy how they turned out. Whaddaya think?

Attachments

• Nav Nudge 2.jpg
    Nav Nudge 2.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 126
  • Nav Nudge Bars.jpg
    Nav Nudge Bars.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Hi Woznme,

Mine does have airbags. It shouldn't think it would interfere with the Airbags going off.

In my old Nav, I hit a cow at around 90 km/h and the airbags didn't go off then either even though I totalled the entire left side of my car, and I didn't have the bumpers on that car, although it did have the Nissan Genuine Nudge Bar which squashed flat like alfoil.

I believe the airbag sensor is in the far right side somewhere around the headlight or thereabouts.

The rubber is hard enough to fend of light nudges and bumps, but it will flex easily in the event of a decent hit and will likely squash flat allowing the energy transfer to activate the sensors .... hopefully.

It's all good!

DJ

hey deejay, guess you dont know about WA's "FUN" law about how 3 spotties are illegal...

i dont want to see you stickered for something so stupid as having a 3rd spottie

oh, and the man at the ARB stall at the 4wd show reckons 3 lights restricts the airflow to the radiator too much and cars have over heated haha. thankgod for thermo fans ay?

nice setup though, cant wait to HID my narva's

Hey Maddog,

I've spent the last hour or two trying to find WA or ADR's which explain driving light rules. It appears that in Vico, NSW and QLD, Driving lights need to be in pairs and therefore it's likely the same here.

I'll take my chances as I do a fair few k's at night in the North West and reckon the risk is worth the payoff. I also think responsible use of the lights that doesn't attract unwanted attention is a good move. With the HID inserts, I wont be using the Driving lights in any metro areas in any case. Never seen a cop on the road after dark up north.

As for airflow, I haven't ever seen my temp needle move from in the centre of the dial. It should still get adequate airflow around the lights and through the bull bar. I'll be keeping a close eye on it in any case especially in summer whilst towing. If it makes a huge problem, it only takes minutes to remove the light housing.

Cheers fellas for the feedback.

DJ

i discussed this same issue on the perth4x4 forum a little while ago and i copied an exert from the document which just stated driving lights have to be in pairs and some other mumbo.

i know you're not going to be a d1ck and have the spotties on facing the cops and other people, but it seems that these days cops think everyone is on the bad side, in my opinion.

i've known people who are real good drivers and dont thrash their cars, eg. one guy has a comaro with a big block chev (typical) and he gets pulled over a fair bit. cops think hes a hoon just because he has a fast car and a big engine.

regulations are a big grey area. my mate with a hj75 cruiser went across the pits and he had a sports muffler pointing directly out the left of the car just after the cab, and it PASSED! problem is even with papers showing you have stuff approved/engineered a cop can still give you a sticker as they can just say the papers are fake.

FACT: if you can change you're supposedly 'illegal' defect within 5min they cant sticker you :)

We used to have a shitload of these rubber bump stops floating around the depot that had been pulled off the semi trailers mainly due to using Tieman ramps and not needing to reverse all the way to loading docks. The semi ones look a bit thicker (although they may not be) and they are a bit longer. The idea of using them on bullbars was once brought up just to get rid of them but it was suggested mounting them to bullbars fits into the same category as rocket launchers or protruding lights. I never followed up on the law and probably wouldn't let it effect me if I wanted such things but it might be something worth checking out if you've got over zealous cops or road patrols.

in wa, the law states that you can only have two spot lights. UNLESS the third one is in the centre of the vehicle. ill try find link for it

Back