2010 Spanish built D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HK1837

Reaction score
Hi all

Just looking at buying a new 2010 V6 manual ST-X.

I don't want the genuine hard lid, soft tonneau or tray liner. Hard lid and soft tonneau are too dear. Tray liner has slots cut for floor rails.

So I've looked aftermarket, but apparantly the 2010 ST-X has a different back to the 2009 model, and hence some aftermarket stuff doesn't fit yet. I really like the Ironman tub liner as it fits UNDER the ties down rails, ie you remove the rails, fit the liner and the rails go on top of the liner. I often carry gravel, mulch etc and I don't want it to get under the liner as it would with a genuine ST-X liner. BUT the Ironman one won't fit a 2010!

I also really like the EGR aluminium hard lid, but no-one (including EGR) can tell me if it'll fit a 2010 ST-X. Note that the so called "sports" bar that comes with the ST-X will be going in the scrap alloy bin, along with the side steps and probably the rear step if it'll come off and look OK.

Lastly, on the rear step removal, if I pull it off and get a bit of alloy checker plate to put where the gaping hole will be, will the Thai built RX towbar fit the Spanish ST-X rails?

Note, I want the ST-X for the fold up rear seat, dual zone climate air and for the V6, none of which come on an RX or ST.

Not in the new ones, the tub liners come already cut out to go around the floor rails. And the older D40 tub liners won't fit the 2010 examples.

I just drove a brand new V6 manual ST-X. Not a bad car at all, but I was very underwhelmed by the lack of power, and i'm worried about it's ability to reverse a car trailer up hill even in low range. It is better than the diesel to drive, but only marginally. But for $8,000 less than the diesel I can buy an awful lot of ULP! I'm starting to think that maybe I should keep the VZ Cross8 until one of the manufacturers brings in a decent engine...I think i'll try an auto V6 ST-X and then make my mind up!

Wow they really have made a lot of changes
I have the 4x2 and reversing a trailor is only an issue to stop it breaking traction and smoking the tires.The V6 has buckets of power andam surprised to hear you say its under powered

I'm probably not being fair on it I suppose, because I am used to a VZ Cross8 with around 270kW. The problem I can see is my driveway is steep and windey, and the car trailer and 1500kg+ Monaro or Premier is not a light load. On the road or flat ground no worries, but i'm concerned about the clutch especially reversing up said driveway. After driving today i'm leaning towards an auto if I do buy one, despite the manual being not bad at all to drive. I'll se if I can find one to test drive...

After having done the towing with race cars etc yeah I reckon the auto would be the way to go with a big trans cooler.
I have done litterally hundreds of flat tows of busted race cars and so far the clutch has been faultless. The early oilers had issues with the clutch but havent heard much of that of late.
Ideally a oiler auto would be the best shot for the towing as it will return average mileage but be far better than a petrol v6.The redeeming factor is that you can get cheaper variants than the ST-X in a oiler auto for about the same price as the ST-X V6 manual . It all comes down to what exactly your wanting with the truck.
The ST Diesel Auto actually comes in slightly cheaper than the ST-X V6

I looked at the ST, but the Thai models are missing the rear seat and the dual zone climate A/C. Plus the Thai spec diesel is gutless - one of the utes in my company that an employee drives is a 10 month old RX manual, and I hate driving it. If I was to get a diesel it'd be a BT-50 3.0L - those engines rock! But they cannot handle reversing big loads with a manual! Bloody dual mass flywheels! And to me the pick is the DX+ Freestyle cab, but no auto available! Plus after hearing all the horror stories of lemon Nissan and Toyota Thai made diesels i'm scared off a bit by it all. I can't afford to have my work vehicle off the road for weeks on end while a lame duck dealer tries to fix an injector pump (which is happening right now with the RX). At least the V6 Nissan (and Hilux) engines are reliable, and as far as I know are Japanese made?
The ST-X V6 manual is $40,500 drive away, ST diesel manual is $40,888.

If you're considering pushing something in 4LO I'd stop right there.

The Navara drivetrain does not have a limited slip device between the front and rear axles. If you use any 4WD mode on a hard surface you will cause premature wear on the drivetrain, most notably in the stretching of the transfer chain.

The Mazda is only rated to tow 2.3T, if your car+trailer exceeds that you'll need to look at the Ford Ranger, Isuzu D-Max or Holden Colorado (which is not being produced any more anyway).

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that! The Cross8 is AWD and the Overlander before it had freewheeling hubs so I could use lo-range 2WD.

Mazda BT50 is 3tonne, same as Ford Ranger. 2300kg is enough though, as trailer is 700kg and heaviest load is 1600kg.

Shows you how much the Mazda guys here in Newcastle know about their own cars.

You'd have to get the D22 Navara to get the manual-locking hubs, and miss out on the interior features you were looking for, or go elsewhere - Land Cruiser?

If you were driving a Land Cruiser it wouldn't be a problem going off-road either, because there are plenty of Navara drivers around willing to rescue unfortunate Toyoya owners that ventured off the bitumen.

I did look at 'Cruisers but they are way too dear, even for a Workmate base model. I also looked seriously at buying a 3.0LTD Patrol (very cheap pricing) and immediately pulling out the scrap metal 3.0L and fitting a crate 6.0L GenIV GM V8. Costs were going to add up too much to make it worthwhile, easier and cheaper to buy an imported K2500 or the like.

I'm going to go and drive a near new V6 auto Hilux SR5 today and also try to find a V6 auto Navara to try as well.

Tony

Auto BT-50 is 2500kg, looked yesterday. So they weren't totally wrong!

Drove both an auto ST-X V6 and auto V6 SR5 yesterday. Both drove well, but the Toyota has a far superior gearbox. To me the Hilux was more comfortable to drive, but the Nissan has better features. Hmm, will see. Nissan is much better value.

Sorry guys.

Bought a new SR5 V6 auto Hilux. Got a great deal on it, so couldn't knock it back. So off to the Hilux forums! Thanks for all the help.

Don't be sorry just because you made so many people jealous.

The growling noise you will hear behind you from time to time is angry D22 drivers wishing they could swap seats with you.

Centre tailshaft bearing support needs attention. This one is covered!

I would have actually bought the V6 auto ST-X Navara at $42,500 drive away except for the doggy auto. The Hilux A750F transmission trounces it hands down!

Don't be sorry just because you made so many people jealous.

The growling noise you will hear behind you from time to time is angry D22 drivers wishing they could swap seats with you.

Naa....dont think so.

Its a petrol engine, petrol's for washin parts.

Funny! That's what I use diesel for?

Honestly I drove both. The V6 petrol Hilux is twice the vehicle on road than a diesel one. In the D40 ST-X it was the same, but even more pronounced with the lack of torque in the diesel. Off road would probably be different, but I rarely go off road!

Latest posts

Back