Clunking and rattling noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonno007

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 91 D21 with a Z20 4 speed manual column shift. Every time I turn at intersections or full lock and fast turning I get loud clunking noises and can feel it through the floor at the drive tunnel. Also on the left side theres some lighter clunking as the wheel bobs up and down, tire squealing and a metal on metal clanking noise, people notice it and look at me, its embarassing. Spent an hour today underneath it trying to find worn bushes. They all look reasonably worn but not terrible. Wheel bearings are ok. Any Ideas whats wrong?

Cheers Guys :cheers!:

Mine does that too. I've heard a fair few other people say it's common on the early D21s. I've been told by two mechanics not to worry about it. Apparently there was a plastic cap on part of the suspension or steering when new, and it just didn't last.

I figure if a mechanic tells me I don't need to spend my money on something, then it's probably a fair comment :)

Go to 2.20 in this clip, he describes that it could be the bush at the front of the torsion bar.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I1Nzx2iSiY[/YT]

i know you said D21, but aren't they pretty much the same......

Last edited:
i had a clunking sound in the front of mine to old owner said it was a control arm bush it turned out to be the bush in both shocks

Latest posts

Back