Idler Arm Braces?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyNav09

Reaction score
hey fellas

a guy at my work told me about idler arm braces, i hvae no idea wat they are or do. ive seen few pictures of them installed and was wondering with i need to install i set and what are the advantages or disadvantages of doing so?? is it worth the $100 odd a pair???

cheers
RustyNav09

Do you mean steering idler arms? I just had one of mine replaced as it was worn out and loose. Ill explain more if thats what you mean.

+1 any info on why replacing these or strengthening by adding a bracket would be good to know. cheers

Joshy had one installed as a precaution. I've never seen or heard of the idler arm tearing off the chassis but Toyota Monthly is convinced it is a big problem on Navaras. For $100 I'd make my own.

im pretty keen to by the already made brace if its really needed...doing cape york next year hopefully so wanting to start gettin the safety stuff in

I'll take a guess that the arm can flex on the mounting so adding the brace would control the flexing making more direct steering???

I'll take a guess that the arm can flex on the mounting so adding the brace would control the flexing making more direct steering???

It's only an idler, I'm struggling to see many scenarios where it's loaded up that much.

Only maybe if you landed your front left wheel into a nice big rut with the weight of the vehicle behind it that pushed your toes in, in which case you'd be pushing up on it with a bit of force.

This is in the description on the ebay listing

This simple bolt-on idler arm brace creates a double shear mounting point for the factory idler arm spindle shaft.
It eliminates the side loading force generated by tyres in ruts and sand.

so is it worth the $75 to fit the brace or not??? is it gonna save me $$$ in the long run by not completely ripping out idler arms etc???

Im just thinking that at $75 it's cheap insurance for what a lot of people class as a weak point. Considering the remoteness of the Cape.

i think i mite get one...gonna call tjm and arb tomoz to see if they have any in stock that i can pickup tomoz...got some free time tomoz nite to stick it in without the misses complaining.

thanks fellas
Rusty

afaik the Idler Arm Brace helps stops WEAR on the idler arm. because the idler is only held at one end theres a fair bit of leverage put on it which causes them to wear out quickly with big tires etc.

The braket provides support to the bottom of the pivot pin stopping the side loading wearing the bushing out to quickly allowing it to fall apart. common issue on vehicles that use this steering setup. Would pay to check the conditon of the idler arm before fitting a bracket. if its worn try and track down one that is greasable, got mates with older IFS hiluxes that have had lots of issues with idler arms. Mine is shot so am in the process of trying to find a non genuine greasable item and guna make a heavier braket myself. reckon can do it for free with scrap steel.

The braket provides support to the bottom of the pivot pin stopping the side loading wearing the bushing out to quickly allowing it to fall apart. common issue on vehicles that use this steering setup. Would pay to check the conditon of the idler arm before fitting a bracket. if its worn try and track down one that is greasable, got mates with older IFS hiluxes that have had lots of issues with idler arms. Mine is shot so am in the process of trying to find a non genuine greasable item and guna make a heavier braket myself. reckon can do it for free with scrap steel.

Careful, the do gooders will have a go at you for making something yourself that isn't engineered......... I'm getting smashed over at the Patrol forum for making my own drop boxes.... I'm all for it though, bugger all work in making one. Paint it blue and say its a snake racing one.

calmini in the us sell them for about 50 bucks and witht he aussie dollar so strong its worth it. and i think you can pay with paypal so its safe to

Back