noise from transfer or gearbox

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navara05

Reaction score
hey guys and ladies
i have a slight problem when i put my 4wd into 4wd it will drive but once you put it into any sort of load it starts to click, click, click but its fine in 2wd and it still does it with out the hubs locked in its got 203,100 Km's on it and its 2005 3.0lt 5 speed manual i haven't taken it any where yet but soon it will be my old man is thinking maybe the chain slipping can any one help me out

Could be the transfer chain.

Your only using 4wd on gravel etc and not tar or concrete ?

Dave.

It's not bad, but it will mean that the axles are turning over and not doing anything to the front wheels. It could generate a little noise, but I doubt it'd do any damage.

Driving in 4WD on hard surfaces (bitumen, solid earth/gravel like a dry, well-used forest track or concrete) will cause the transfer chain to stretch. As the chain taps against the housing you'll hear it, but the drive will be smooth. If it jumps teeth it should make a significant racket and you should feel it as a jolt in the cabin.

That's an interesting sound, it sounds like a solid hit. Is that repeating at the same rate the axle would turn over, or the prop shaft?

It almost sounds like someone's hitting something with a hammer. How are the uni joints on the front prop shaft?

yeah the noise start as soon as you would start to drive it but only in 4wd uni's are all good cv's are fine i think it has to be inside some where

definatly stratched transfercase chain. go and get some transfer case oil from repco, drain your transfercase. the sump bolt is magnetic and if there is a hell of alot of metal shavings than your chain is most likely slipping on the gears. i have the same problem with my nav at the moment. the best way to fix it is just to get a second hand t-case from a wrecker. the new chain will set you back 900 from nizzbits and if the 2 gears are worn, the main driveshaft sprocket will cost you 350 and the front drive shaft sprocket will set you back 550 from nizz bits.

there is a well backed up rumour going that the early model d21 tx-10 t-case has a wider stonger chain than the d22. ive messured my d22 chain and it is 35mm in width. unfortunatly i havent managed to get my hands on a erly d21 tcase but i have seen pictures on an american d21 tx-10 t-case and the chain looks to be atleast 55mm in width. somebody from the us confirmed the rumor although he had not seen it himself he assured me that it was a fact and i should aim for pre 1994 model t-cases. a second hand t-case form a wrecker should be farely cheap and with a bit of mechanical knowhow it can be done in the garage at home.

hey guys i emptyed the oil yesterday and the plug had very little or no metal on magnetic plug but i could tell the chain was lose becuase i stuck mu finger in there and could move chain down anothe to see a whole tooth

Latest posts

Back