recovery point ripped clean from chassis

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justo

Reaction score
hi guys, just wondering if any on you d40 owners have ever had this issue.
today i got bogged and during the revovery my front recovery point was ripped from the chassis now the bolts are perfect they were pulled clean out, so i went to the back and then used an equalizer and pull the truck out in reverse, easy no dramas at all but on closer inspecton the chassis was bent on both sides, this to me seems very odd, what do you gus think happed?

Last edited:
So you ripped the bolts out of the captive nuts, and bent the rear of the chassis too, You must have been bogged good and proper.

Got pics? Mine has a oval shaped loop welded to the chassis. Some vehicles have a thing that looks like a recovery point but is really only a transport hook.

well i was not bogged that bad, i will gets some pics up soon, i brought all rated revovery points for the front and hooks for the back, using hi tensile bolts

Last edited:
what sort of hook is it?
the rather long one some navaras come with (like the frontier) are really prone to pulling out and busting the chassis because of the leverage effect it has.

nissan will not give you anything.

heres the deal, what we call 'recovery hooks' are technically 'heavy duty tow hooks'.

yes our recovery hooks have a pull rating on them, eg. 4T, but there is no pull 'rating' on the car itself. you may say there is the 3T tow limit, yes, but that is TOWING from the TOWBAR.

sadly they dont actually rate the front of the chassis for pull/tare strength as the front end was never designed for '4wd recoveries', only 'towing in emergencies'.

its all this technical BS that ruins it all

as thought Nissan womt come to the party so i went to Redlands 4wd centre and they are going to reinforce the front chassis and put a tow bar on the back so i can attach a recovery hitch to that. it seems to me there is not enough educaton from the retalers that sell revovery gear to ensure that this sort of thing does not happen!

Last edited:
Im all for bending the rules but feel you should atleast have a heads up. becarefull "reinforcing" the front of the chassis.... Airbag's yes?...youll deffinetly have a crumple zone.. ive seen the whole crumple zone ripped off before, unfortunately its designed "weak" but if you mod it and ur airbags dont go off you could be up shit creek.

I stuffed one of the captive nuts fitting my front recovery hooks many months ago. Anyway a temporary fix was a spring upside where the nut is (it worked well as I was snatched during the adventure of a lifetime), but that is no good now as I had to take the front bash plate today to clean the mud out from my Simo trip.

So my question is there a more permanent fix?

Here's a few of pic's, the last photo (not the best pic) shows where the recovery piont was ripped from, look at the top you can see the holes in the chassis, and the bash plate was torn as well,

DSC_1779.jpg

DSC_1778.jpg

DSC_1781.jpg

DSC_1784.jpg

Here is two pic's for the recovery point that is on the other side (same as the one ripped out)

DSC_1785.jpg

DSC_1786.jpg

well it's booked in at Redland 4wd centre at Capalaba to get fixed tomorrow so i will post some pic's of what was done,

Im all for bending the rules but feel you should atleast have a heads up. becarefull "reinforcing" the front of the chassis.... Airbag's yes?...youll deffinetly have a crumple zone.. ive seen the whole crumple zone ripped off before, unfortunately its designed "weak" but if you mod it and ur airbags dont go off you could be up shit creek.

I probably used the wrong words, they are putting plate steel inside the chassis about 30 cms long and bolting the points to that to spread the weight/force from recovery's, i will check put i would think that the air bags shoild not be afected.

Back