New tyres need opinions

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navara09

Reaction score
I need new tyres and i have been looking at 3 different types. they are BF Goodrich All terrain T/A KO, Cooper ST, Mickey Thompson 4 ribs. What do you reckon on those tyres.

From what I know (very little) they are all good. I have the BFG, and am happy with them, but would go something different next time just to compare. Probably the Mickey T or even the BFG KM2 muds.

Get whichever is cheaper or you like the look of better.

I have done approx 30k on mine now, I reckon I will get a good 60k, maybe more before they arent road legal, not sure how good they will be offroad towards the end of their life though.

BFG cheaper but really good tires. coopers chip really bad for what u pay. mick t's are great (i run 4 ribs)...i have not heard anyone whinge about mick t's or bfg..but alot whinge about coopers

Hi Fella's

I have BFG A/T on my navara all good.Have got about 10k on them now.Before the BFG's I had Bridgestone 694L/T.They were also good.I paided approx $290 for the BFG's at Jax's tires.The BFG were only about $10 dearer than the Bridgestones.

Shane

I've got the BFGs and can't speak highly enough of them. done about 2500kms in them now and you can still see the little nodules on the edges, and they have done some pretty hard tracks. i was told by the dealer that some people get over 100,000kms with them if you rotate at the recommended intervals. they are quiet, chunky, grippy and stopped me buying a WRX the other day. thank god for BFGs.

The mickey T 4 ribs look tougher though. Maybe a bit noisier?

i thought the exact thing!! but surprisingly not. apparently the guy told me that the way mick t's clug designs reduced the noise harmonics.. i hate tyre noise and was very relieved the 4rib didnt make much noise (thought the guy was talking crap just to make the sale).

I have Cooper ST's on mine and they aren't chipping or ripping lugs off like people will tell you, they're good both on and off road even in the wet! I do however let my tyre pressure down when off road and I believe that wheel spin is the enemy of any tyre!!
Pirelli Scorpions maybe???

Cheers Brad

I had BFG A/Ts and got a good 65k out of them (they still have about 30% tread) before I switched. If I wanted ATs again I'd be getting them.

Hey guys,

I've had Cooper HT's on my GU Patrol and hated them, always had them going out of balance. Good performing tyre but need to be rotated and balanced at regular intervals if you want and longevity out of them. Maybe not so bad on the Navara being lighter, but I have my reservations.

I currently run BFG AT's on the Nav and they have seen two cars. I had them on my first Nav and then put them onto my new Nav. They have done around 90,000km and still have a bit of life in them. I'll be changing them this year and will definately go the BFG's again. A good tyre with no headaches.

Cheers,

DJ

cooper tyres r the most overratedcrap on the market 2800ks in bush once breaking lugs of tyre service say my fault

I find that hard to believe. Ron Moon says they go through Upper East Mongolia, South Tumbuktoo, the Great Wall of China and deep dark Africa and he's never touched his repair kit. The other dude on TV also says they will last 400 years longer than the standard tyres fitted to which ever car he stands in front of. Surely this can't be false advertising.

I've never had them on any of my vehicles because a mate's bad experience with them on his Cruiser (similar to what you say happened) put me off a few years ago.

I had cooper STT before the sidewall on one got splits through to the canvas all over it

Switched to BFG AT no issues in 25k

I run Cooper ST's in normal driving and sometimes offroad.

They only get rotated when I get a wheel allignment.

Last set I got around 80,000km's or there abouts.

I am happy with Coopers.

Dave.

I had Cooper ST's on my Patrol and they chipped terribly. I've been told that that was limited to a few batches only and the problem is now fixed... but the damage was done for me and I wouldn't buy Cooper again without seeing the problem not reoccur over some years. Having said that, the ST's were brilliant offroad, pretty noisy on road and no so good for grip in the wet.

I also had Cooper ATR's and loved them tho - good on road and in the wet, and reasonable offroad. They were still ok offroad at 60k - probably had another 20k in them.

This time round I went Mickey T 5 Rib ATZ's - really the best AT I've ever had on road and in the wet. Haven't really given them a bash off road yet, but all the reports I've heard (media and from mates) are very very good. The on road noise is negligible too...

I've never owned BFG's, but my old man loves em and regularly gets 80k out of a set - and he is a serious Grey Nomad - this year they spent ~8 months doing WA the hard way, so I probably should just use BFG's based on his recommendation... but who likes doing what thier dad says is right :D

I had cooper st's on mine and they were shit in the wet and chippedin the tread but now I have gone the cooper stt and find them great in wet/dry and off road and not much road noise.They hold on pretty well with 300 kws at the rear.

well just to rebump an old thread im in the boat of replacing my standard bridgestones. i want to stick to the standard 265/70/16 tire size. ive been looking at the Mickey T 4-5 Rib, BFG AT KO, Bridgestone 694, Yoko Geo AT and Cooper ATR or AT3. any info would be good, even though i dont like coopers cause all i hear is bad reviews from mates and family about them.

i have heard that Dick Cepek FCII are a dam good tire. with one guy gettin 190000kms out of a set of tires. whether this is true or not im not sure but it states in the testimonials on the website. claiming he had travelled alot in the towing and all sorts.

my only other issues is the tire size. i know i mentioned i wanted to stay with 265/70/16s and this reason being is i only need to change 2 tires cause they are badly worn while the other 2 are in good condition still. OR do i change them all to 265/75s? what are the benefits of the bigger tire?

cheers
Rusty

Back