BOV for YD25DDTI 2.5L (MID)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oj0213

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wanted to know the pros and cons of having a BLOW OFF VALVE installed on our D40

thanks

Pro's = You'll have something no one else has got (originality)

Con = You'll look like a friggin' tool. It's a work ute, not a performance race car.

But if it really flicks your switch, you should go for it. Speaking of flicking the switch, have you thought of NOS and spoilers?

;-)

I actually though the blow off value was related to the blowing off steam value and the advantages of that are endless, especially when the missus is sitting in the passenger seat giving directions.

Being a friggen tool I can see (they are everywhere) but adding a gay part to your car is something I'm not familiar with. What makes a Blow Off Valve gay? Can you get a straight one if your homophobic?

Hi guys, just wanted to know the pros and cons of having a BLOW OFF VALVE installed on our D40

thanks

pro, minor performance improvement on gear changes
con, cost.

i know toyota guys that have them apparently helps a lot keeping the turbo spooled up when changing gears.
while the D40 is higher boost, being variable might mean it may not help as much.
end of the day its a lot of $$$ when that could be better spent on real 4x4 improvements.

from what i have heard its a bit of work to install one because diesel turbos dont run a vacuum so u will need to install a vacuum solenoid which will need to be activated when u push in the clutch.

I actually though the blow off value was related to the blowing off steam value and the advantages of that are endless, especially when the missus is sitting in the passenger seat giving directions.
Krafty that's what the definitely not gay, ejection seat is for.
Blowing of is what men use women for. But if a bloke uses a valve instead he's actually a Wanker.

the way that i know of to trigger them is fit micro switches on throttle and clutch which triggers a vacuum solenoid which applies system vacuum to the BOV.

A BOV offers no benefit on a Diesel powered vehicle without a throttle valve. It's primary purpose is to keep turbo speed up when the throttle is closed on a petrol vehicle (by venting the turbo pressure to atmosphere before the throttle valve).

Pro's = You'll have something no one else has got (originality)

Con = You'll look like a friggin' tool. It's a work ute, not a performance race car.

But if it really flicks your switch, you should go for it. Speaking of flicking the switch, have you thought of NOS and spoilers?

;-)

I have other trucks to do the work mate, my d40 is for chasing other trucks on the highway and smoking them, literally sometimes:sarcastic:

you should see what UK nav owners do to their trucks up there:wash_truck:

Given your avatar shows you parked on the wrong side of the road and your reference to UK Nav drivers being "up there" I'm guessing your not an aussie. It's probably for that reason you got the responses you did. Down here even those of us who don't spend all our time bending and breaking our trucks in the bush don't treat them the same way the poms seem to.

They ask questions like "who's taken their Nav offroad" and talk about 24 inch rims on a Nav while bagging out someone with a rice burner for sticking over sized mufflers and low profile tyres on it. They are a different breed in the UK and there aren't many of us down here who buy Nav's just to smoke other people on the highway, atleast I don't think there are, I know smoking people really didn't enter my thoughts when I brought an oil burner.

Good thoughts mate, no harm done , not exactly the answer im looking for but... well as they say to each his own, I use my Nav almost everyday city driving,the extra power our truck has is quite handy with the way other people drives here in the Philippines, you can thank god your driving this truck, diff strokes for diff folks, been to Aussie and NZ btw

Last edited:
Hey,

I tried smoking trucks on the highway a few times, but gave up after finding them too hard to light and they tasted funny if you did get them alight. :p

DJ

Since the turbo has a variable vane on the compressor side, I'm not sure a BOV would do a lot of good. Seems like a lot of money to get a small gain.

If you want to really race other vehicles, Ferrari make a range of suitable vehicles with 4 wheels and for much less cost, 2 less wheels and much more raw power - requiring the owner to have much larger, hairier nads - something with the "Hayabusa" label might suit.

Apart from chipping it, removing the DPF/CAT and installing a 3" exhaust there's not a lot more you can do without replacing the entire motor. I suppose you could squeeze another 2% improvement with a misting system on your intercooler as well, but really we're not talking about a large overall improvement (except with the chip).

Since the turbo has a variable vane on the compressor side, I'm not sure a BOV would do a lot of good. Seems like a lot of money to get a small gain.

If you want to really race other vehicles, Ferrari make a range of suitable vehicles with 4 wheels and for much less cost, 2 less wheels and much more raw power - requiring the owner to have much larger, hairier nads - something with the "Hayabusa" label might suit.

Apart from chipping it, removing the DPF/CAT and installing a 3" exhaust there's not a lot more you can do without replacing the entire motor. I suppose you could squeeze another 2% improvement with a misting system on your intercooler as well, but really we're not talking about a large overall improvement (except with the chip).

true, thats why I also keep my EVO 6 at bay for such things, a Ferrari would be great:rock: enough said there..

thats right mate, DP chip which is a aussie made, is a bit expensive here than buying it directly and have it parceled here, another problem is the K&N drop in filter, thai made Navs has a smaller air box compared to the Spain made ones, one option is to replace the system with the Apollo 2 series, I know of a guy who has done all of that squeezing in 210hp at the wheels on a dyno

A BOV offers no benefit on a Diesel powered vehicle without a throttle valve. It's primary purpose is to keep turbo speed up when the throttle is closed on a petrol vehicle (by venting the turbo pressure to atmosphere before the throttle valve).

you don't need a throttle butterfly for a BOV to work or be useful.

vanes are on turbine side. you still have a fixed size compressor and yes your exactly right, its a lot of $$$ for a small gain.

have a look on the USA forums where they regularly run 50-100psi boost. BOV's are common otherwise such high boost just blows back through the compressor wheel nearly stalling it.

hi

i've installed a bov on my d40. i didn't like and it ruined the electromagnetic valve that control's the wastegate of the turbo. it's not difficult to install a a bov. you need to buy a bov for diesel's only. then you have to make a hole on the rubber pipe that goes from the turbo to the intercooler to plug the bov valve. then you have to connect the wire that gives 5volts from the accelerator pedal, i think is a yellow one, to the ecu that controls the electromagnetic valve of the bov. the result is that when u take the foot of the accelerator u ear the psssst from the valve. some people say that it's good because without a bov the pressured air returns to the turbo paddles and stop it and with the bov that pressured air goes away but when i've installed mine what happened was when i needed power of the turbo for example to climb a hill, the minute i remove the foot from the accelerator, i lose turbo pressure and i couldn't climb anything. with time the bov with the pressure inside the rubber tube started to fall from the pipe and i had tho replace the rubber pipe for aluminium and after a while it damaged the electromagnetic valve that controls the turbo wastegate. it was a complete waste of money and time to install the bov. i do not recomend that

sorry for my english

hi

i've installed a bov on my d40. i didn't like and it ruined the electromagnetic valve that control's the wastegate of the turbo.
i doubt it. the valves are known to fail fairly reguarly
...... then you have to connect the wire that gives 5volts from the accelerator pedal, i think is a yellow one, to the ecu that controls the electromagnetic valve of the bov. ................when i needed power of the turbo for example to climb a hill, the minute i remove the foot from the accelerator, i lose turbo pressure and i couldn't climb anything. ................... it was a complete waste of money and time to install the bov. i do not recomend that

sorry for my english
edited to make things clearer. your english is good enough.

your BOV is simply a bad install. the BOV's that i know of are triggered by clutch and throttle so you have to be off throttle and on clutch for it to trigger. throttle only can cause the exact same problem you had. also i suspect it was triggering at part throttle rather than off throttle.
much better to trigger it off the idle switch rather than the throttle.

Back