sat nav

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Pioneer F900BT, which has now been superceded by the F910.

It's quite a good unit, with caveats:

* It costs $3,000. There are cheaper units on the market.

* While it doesn't mind having an iTouch attached, if the iTouch goes wonky the Pioneer unit starts randomly rebooting itself.

* You can't put the vehicle in reverse (activating the camera) until Windows has loaded all its drivers. The easiest way to tell is to wait for the radio/music to start. If you don't, you probably won't have control through the interface.

* Map updates are $240 or something stupid like that. I can buy a whole GPS for $199, so I told the seller to shove his update in his ass. Since he hung up in a big hurry and I know the update comes on an SD card, I can only assume he had raced off to a private area to do that.

Advantages...

* The iGo8 software is pretty good, the text to speech (TTS) system is brilliant. It sometimes gets pathing wrong and sometimes can't figure out "time to destination" properly.

* It's an all-in-one unit that is quite handy. No extra cables or bits that need to be attached to make function X work.

http://www.navara.asia/diy-modifications-build-ups/3388-ebay-navigation-multimedia-system.html

Is one thread that comes to mind. Do a search for GPS or in dash GPS or something similar there has been a number of threads with this sort of thing discussed.

I know of several people with Pioneer units, some with Clarion and then there is Biscuits who went the car pc route which does everything an more an in dash unit does for a similar cost.

Personally I can't decide which way to go, as a pc salesman and technician I like the idea of what Biscuits did but for me it's quite a lot of wasted technology because I just wont use half of it's ability. I also think the GPS market is a rort at the moment, too many of the map makers want too much money too keep maps updated and too many manufacturers want to supercede new models claiming the old models aren't capable of running new software when in reality the chips that these things use as so bog stock by today's standard and software advancements so minimal that chips are not the limitation.

Oh yeah I also sell hand held GPS's from several of the brands that rate quite well in Choice awards and I still think the industry is a rip off.

Also as stated in the thread I linked to above Pioneer have a scratch and dent online store where they sell many superseded models for a fraction of the RRP cost. They all come with a DOA and 12 month warranty and although the maps may be out of date they can give you a good unit for a lower price.

Also bear in mind that map updates don't have to be done the way the manual or seller tells you, there are quite a number of options to users who run units that have and SD option.

I'm not sure about that, and it's something that we've been thinking about because we do a lot of towing as well.

I'll investigate and get back to you. I am fairly sure there's another AV input which you could connect the second camera to, but at $500 for the camera (Pioneer's price) I'm more than happy to consider a $160 complete camera+display unit from Jaycar that is fired up only when needed.

Tony the 900 says it comes with Suna updates, are they free or do you have to pay for them to be installed. I know with my first GPS they said Suna was included but what they didn't tell you was there is a subscription for the service. I haven't used Suna that much but it's not bad for $60 and it's not just Melbourne only (and hasn't been for about 2 years).

My unit can have an additional "AV Source" but it's not hooked up. Perhaps that is for something like a video player.

We're thinking of getting the Jaycar unit anyway, because we could always unhook the whole thing and use it elsewhere as well.

You mentioned a SD card solution for map updates, I am trying to investigate this while I'm working. My maps are from May 2009 and an update would be great, but since I've already paid the thieves enough, I'm more than happy sourcing the updates from alternative sources. I've already got my SD card with the jailbreak installed (it's on the card, not on the unit, so if there's a problem with the unit, nobody needs to know).

Tony the 900 says it comes with Suna updates, are they free or do you have to pay for them to be installed. I know with my first GPS they said Suna was included but what they didn't tell you was there is a subscription for the service. I haven't used Suna that much but it's not bad for $60 and it's not just Melbourne only (and hasn't been for about 2 years).

I tried asking the guys that supplied and fitted the unit in my car and they were quite adamant that I had to pay $240 for them to provide the updates but there were no updates available, I had the latest, despite there being a roundabout on a major highway that had been there for 2 years and wasn't showing in the map (just ONE example).

With service and responses like that, is it any wonder people try to go elsewhere for their answers.

According to Pioneer the 910 also has a USB lead I would reckon this or the SD slot would be your friend when running software that didn't come supplied. If you can make it read, boot up or whatever else you can call it with an SD you'd probably be able to use a portable drive and you could install and maps program you wanted. I know some units have a limitation on the size of SD cards but the USB would fix that. From memory Jon is doing something similar with his ebay system although I can't remembr if he's doing it via SD or via the systems memory.

Suna is an independent system as far as I know and you don't pay the same people for map updates that you do for Suna (atleast I didn't I paid Suna direct). Map updates for my units are about $175 for current and $50 for 12 month old maps (RRP) but Suna is subscription for life as far as I'm aware, I'm just not sure that the subscription can go between units, would be silly if it didn't but there are sillier things happening in this world.

Also as stated in the thread I linked to above Pioneer have a scratch and dent online store where they sell many superseded models for a fraction of the RRP cost.

Thats where I got my unit from, had a scratched chassis and that was it.. I got an AVIC HD3 for $900 (RRP is $3700) so I was more than pleased with it :)

I nearly brought one of those a few weeks back but in the end there was a few other options I was looking into and one thing led to another and nothing got done. They don't look like a bad unit however I still think there is equal options it's just a matter of what really fits in the hole given the number of people who've already said there could be issues fitting some of these units into D40's. One day I might even get back to looking at this seriously but until GPS software and updates improve I can't help these things aren't as good as they could be.

Back