Teewah / DI point beach fees..

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagMan

Reaction score
Tonight on the news they said that the qld gov is going to introduce fees to drive on the beach.
$10 - $15 per day or $35/week.

Do we not pay rego and a shit load of tax..

Now i do not mind paying for service provided - free showers, more toilets etc
Teewah was maybe the last place left that a family could go for a week, for an inexpensive camping holiday.

Now i know $35 is not a lot - but i bet it is just the start.....

New beach driving permits | Sunshine Coast News | Local News in Sunshine Coast | The Sunshine Coast Daily

Last edited:
You can probably thank the yahoos that destroy the place and make it dangerous. By introducing a fee to be there, they drastically reduce the number of idiots present, because idiots don't want to have to pay so they can do donuts on the beach and run people over.

Like Tony says with a bit of luck the yahoos will stop turning up when there is a fee. Providing the fee is reasonable and goes towards maintaining the place I wouldn't have an issue paying for access if it means less yahoos making it harder for people to enjoy. The downside of most of these things is that once the fees start they rarely go any direction other than up when the powers that be realise they can make more dollars.

I second what Tagman said, FFS we live in a massive country and everything fun is being taxed.

Stockton sand dunes you need a pass for which is like $15, what do I get for my money SFA.

The money goes to a small percentage of Australians and the people who keep it clean are the 4wd clubs.

Isn't about time the goverment reviewed where the money is going and what the public are getting for there money.

Take for example NSW, everyone got slugged $30 extra on there rego to pay for a new freeway to be built in Sydney.

People in Dubbo, Orange and out west and myself who is 200km's from Sydney will never use that freeway.

If you think QLD sucks, dont move to NSW.

Dave.

So instead of slugging you $30 on your rego for a road you don't want to use you'd rather they made it a toll road so those who do use it have to pay for it? Thats fair enough but it's also the exact system they have used for the beach, a user pays fee to drive on the beach not a state wide rego slug effecting those who don't.

It is sadly true that quite often the money raised from these things doesn't go to the right place but I'd still rather have a user pays system that has some hope of putting money back where it's needed than a state wide government slug that is extremely unlikely to go back into the system.

Still you think paying to drive on the beach is bad, try not being able to "legally" drive on any beach in the state and still having to pay stupid amounts in rego for freeways I'll never use. Thankfully such things don't bother me greatly because I don't use national parks or the like to get dirty so the chances of them slugging me for that are unlikely and there are still some little beach spots around where driving and parking for camping and fishing purposes goes mostly by the wayside.

Yeah fair point about user pays, but why do we need to pay to drive on the beach ?

There is quiet often different rules for different people in society, thats the thing that annoys me the most.

Give everyone equal rights.

Dave.

I do not think it will stop the yahoo at all...

If you have no consideration for your fellow man and drive your 4X4 like a nob - would you care about a fee to drive on the beach?

Maybe not - only responsible people will do the right thing...

I'm not saying we SHOULD have to pay to drive on the beach but if we have to a user pays system works better than a blanket tax. Also paying for the privilege is better than being banned altogether like we are in Victoria. The yahoos might still turn up and not pay but atleast there might be some money to fix their screw ups, down here there is no money for such things and we still can't drive legally on a beach.

I can see that they would have been missing out on income from all the day trippers and campers who didn't pay their camping fee's. There will be a hell of a lot more income from this method. There will need to be though to fund a ranger to police it, new car for him/her to drive, an office to add up all the fines......

I bet we don't see any difference to the beach or facilities.

Hey think positive sometimes things do happen. They told us down here that fees from salt water fishing licenses (for years we only had to pay for fresh water fishing) would go into making beach access better and improving facilities, most of us were skeptical at the time but it has worked. I have no doubt they could have done more and possibly done better but the fact is we have seen quite a few benefits down here.

Mallacoota is about the last town before the NSW south coast boarder and is something like a 7 hour trip from Melbourne yet even the tracks and boat ramps have had many improvements it's now one of the best areas to launch a boat in Gippsland. There will always be problems, Mallacoota also has one of the worse ocean ramps around and there is too much bullshit and red tape to ever make that great but atleast they got some of it right.

And this is all from an un-elected state government who are stupid enough to think that a GP that looses 50 million a year is beneficial to our state. Imagine what we could achieve is we had a competent government, although the chances of that happening anywhere in the world is unlikely.

The fee starts in the middle of this month (October).

Was up there on the weekend, yes it was raining, for some recon for a future camping trip. Any way as the weather was not the best we decided to take the Freshwater track out and head to Harry's Hut for lunch.

The Freshwater track is clearly marked 4 wheel drive only, so what a surprise (sarcasm ) when we come upon some git in a toyota hiace van stuck to the sills in sand.
As we investigated it was continually and subtly suggested to this idiot that maybe he should have read the sign; a traffic jam of about 6 to 8 4x4s had ensued from both directions.

It turns out that they were pommy tourists who figured that if you come to Australia you need to experience some bush tracks. So I dare say he also experienced some sand digging with his bare hands as no one was prepared to go out of their way to help these inconsiderate pricks.

Why is it that morons think that signs saying 4 wheel drive access only don't refer to their particular 2 wheel drive vehicle and then get upset when people refuse to do the labour for then to help them get unstuck. He could of got to see more bush if he just paid for a 4x4 excursion from one of those tourist ripoff companys that run along the beach and think they own the place. (They will be the subject of another rant on another day)

I don't mind paying to use various facilities, whether they be toll roads, camping grounds etc. I think to some degree (especially with Fraser Island) they are being very strict and (over)regulating the use of it, which to my experience has seen a big decrease in the amount of bogan morons that go up there to just sink piss, kill as many fish as humanly possible, and to damage the dunes and tracks by driving like prawns - rather than appreciating the natural beauty of the place. It hasn't got rid of them completely but it now seems to be well managed and the place generally looks a lot better condition than 10 years ago.

I find it funny that they want to charge us to drive on what is most likely the least maintained public "roadways" in the state, however if it means that it improves the facilities on the beach and keeps some morons at home then $15 is nothing, still a hell of a lot cheaper than a weekend at the gold coast. The day they ban campfires though will be a sad day (for those who don't know they banned them some years ago on Fraser, and that really has taken away a lot of the appeal for beach camping, a big part of the fun of camping is sitting around the fire talking crap at night). Fees I am okay with, but taking the easy way out of just banning everything is what gives me the shits. We won't be able to take a shit without being granted permission soon.

lm not going too pay a cent

Tonight on the news they said that the qld gov is going to introduce fees to drive on the beach.
$10 - $15 per day or $35/week.

Do we not pay rego and a shit load of tax..

Now i do not mind paying for service provided - free showers, more toilets etc
Teewah was maybe the last place left that a family could go for a week, for an inexpensive camping holiday.

Now i know $35 is not a lot - but i bet it is just the start.....

New beach driving permits | Sunshine Coast News | Local News in Sunshine Coast | The Sunshine Coast Daily

l work a teewah most of the year, and the owners of the houses im doing up give me a barge pass so l only have too pay $1 there and back ,but they say they cant do the same about the beach rip off , watch me on you tube giving it to who ever stops me getting to and from work because all hells going to brake loose.................................

Bit of a follow up.
Went up to DI a few days before xmas - there was a ranger checking permits at the barge -
I had one - but thought i would give him a gob full anyway (i know it is not his doing) but made me feel better.
As i told him the beach is a designated road - not built or maintained by the qld govt. so why do i need to pay? - he did not have any answer.
He did say to go onto the web site fill out a form and if you bullshit good enough - you can get a free annual pass.
So I did - awaiting a response.
My brother in law did the forms also and got a pass within a few days - where is mine?

We went up on Thursday and used the freshwater track ... No barge fee..no ranger checking beach permits, drove past the ranger on the leisha track and never asked for the permit I had purchased but gave a friendly wave ... It's obviously being policed well!

For Bribie, you can only get a weekly pass and it's $37.65. I don't mind paying $10 to drive on Teewah, but I'll be buggered if I'll pay $38 to drive on Bribie. It used to be a good spot to go for a bit of a drive and get away from everyone, set up camp for a day on the beach with a picnic. Add another $38 onto it and it's just not worth it.

Back