Engine won't turn over

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miro

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new to the forum and it is looking good. Any way I have a question. My old man has bought a D21 recently and won't turn over on the first try when turning the key. I told him that it is most likely the battery is gone, but he seems to think that diesels need to be warmed up before starting. By warming up I mean leaving the key in the accessory position for a few minutes before cranking. Now to me this does not sound right. Another question (and I will sound dumb asking it) should a diesel be like a normal car and turnover on the first turn of a key?

Cheers

Diesels have glow plugs that need to heat up. Not sure where you'd find the switch on the D21, you'd have to wait for a D21 pilot to show up for that.

Mine - a 2009 2.5litre Common Rail diesel - won't fire immediately anyway. It's not slow, but the engine turns over a few times before it fires. I put it down to fuel pressures and stuff that have to build up. I'm grateful for it, because it gives the bearings and bores time to get some oil on them, so there's less chance of unlubricated metal-on-metal contact.

What he said, cause he's more bored than I m and he typed quicker.

I will however add, Welcome to the forums!

Cheers thanks for the quick reply, will a stronger battery make the plugs warm up faster? Also how long should I wait before the plugs are ready (just an estimate so I have an idea). And thank you for the welcome, guess I will be spend a fair bit of time on here

Mine has an indicator light telling me that the glow plugs are done and the engine is ready to start. I wonder where Dion is ... he'd know. Maybe he's not as bored as I am. And yeah, welcome to the forum, don't worry about me, my brain is on its second Zimmer. My body is on its third. The two only just met up again recently at a ball in a castle owned by a Frank someone or other.

Damn, these stitches across my forehead itch.

Okay guys I have worked it out, turns out when my old man and brother were trying to turn it over they were not turning switching on the glow plugs lol. So yeah I have got it going now and runs like a champ. Cheers for your help guys

It needs to be left in the 'ON' postion to warm up the glow plugs mate, not accessories.

Welcome to the forum.

Yep Welcome miro, don't worry wev'e all had to learn how to start them, the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask, once you get diesel in your system it's hard to turn back....

Yep Welcome miro, don't worry wev'e all had to learn how to start them, the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask, once you get diesel in your system it's hard to turn back....

True that, its best to ask a question before doing something worse.

Dave.

Krafty is dreaming again, he thinks I was wispering in his ear.

Must be the old age kicking in. Lol.

Dave.

God dammit I hope its whispering you're doing in my ear the last time you stuck your tongue in my ear it scared the beegeezus outta me.

Lol, I could always be like Boof.

Krafty is just a post whore, not that I can talk.

Dave.

That's right I'm whoring myself for you blokes (sick isn't it) wait 'till you all start paying me for the service.

Which Boof are you talking about Dave?

Back