Brighter headlights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beefy

Reaction score
Hi i'm new to the forum, i done a quick search and couldn't find any info on this. I want to put higher wattage globes in my headlights as the stock ones are pretty poor. I've been told by a friend who is an auto elec that if i go too high with plastic lenses it will stuff them up. So i have a couple of questions: 1. Are the headlight lenses plastic? ( i have an 2010 d40 stx and they feel like plastic to me but i'm unsure) 2. What wattage did you replace the stock ones with?

Welcome mate to the forum.

Dont go higher wattage as the wiring may not be able to handle the extra amps, 2 I agree about the lens.

HID the lights, the D40 and D22 have the cover over the globe so the only thing legally that they could get you on is the auto level headlights and the washes.

Mine are HID and are adjusted to the right level and I have never been flashed.

What area are you in ?

I am in a rural area so there is still a chance of getting done because technically there illegal but the headlight upgrade and the HID spotties have saved me from wombats and kangeroo strikes.

Sure I have hit 3 kangeroos but have also seen about 100 and got on the brakes early enough to avoid them thanks to the headlight and Spottie upgrades to HID.

Dave.

Welcome mate to the forum.

Dont go higher wattage as the wiring may not be able to handle the extra amps, 2 I agree about the lens.

HID the lights, the D40 and D22 have the cover over the globe so the only thing legally that they could get you on is the auto level headlights and the washes.

Mine are HID and are adjusted to the right level and I have never been flashed.

What area are you in ?

I am in a rural area so there is still a chance of getting done because technically there illegal but the headlight upgrade and the HID spotties have saved me from wombats and kangeroo strikes.

Sure I have hit 3 kangeroos but have also seen about 100 and got on the brakes early enough to avoid them thanks to the headlight and Spottie upgrades to HID.

Dave.

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm in a rural area not too far from Maitland actually, Paxton on the other side of Cessnock.

To be honest my mate has just upgraded his to HID but the price is whats putting me off i was just hoping for a cheaper alternative.

I have a set of lightforce spotties so highbeam isn't really an issue. I've had a 2inch lift done and the arse ends sits a bit higher so the lights point into the ground a bit more than normal. So i was hoping if i put in the brighter globes it would help with that.

What HID kit did you put in yours and how much did it cost?

My HID kit is a Pjilips kit. Was $700 at the time that was a few years ago.

If I did it again I would get a HID off Jet6 off Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum

Only like $250 but the light output is exceptional, I know Paxton.

You may have seen my D22 out at the exchange out there before.

I am in Cessnock and Singleton area pretty much everyday aswell.

I have almost hit a few roos out that way and a few wombats out near Mulbring and Wolimbi.

Actually I almost hit a horse about 6 months ago at night out near Quarabolong. That scared the shit out of me. Lol.

I haven't been out to Paxton for work in about 3 months, last jobs I did out there were TAB data lines out that way, so I might of even one your adsl connection.

Dave.

Thanks for the info.

I've had the ADSL for about 5 years so you may have done it but it would've been a long time ago.

Jet6 is a user on that forum i'm guessing, do you have any contact details for him or will i have to join that forum to contact him?

I probably have seen your Navara before the exchange is only up the hill from where i live i think? I live just up from the pub.

I've had a few close calls with roos lately they're everywhere. I work in the mines travelling up past Singleton, guaranteed to see a couple of fresh ones on the road nearly everyday. My sister in law actually hit a horse out this way last year. Scared the shit out of her, luckily she wasn't going too fast she didn't get hurt but they had to put the horse down.

Thanks mate, yeah know all about the cops worked last weekend and there was 2 cars there both nights on the way home. One of them was hiding in the driveway opposite where aussie tree used to be.

I haven't seen anyone working in those roadworks in ages but I usually drive throught there at night time.

Dave.

How about a less expensive option and less chance of being flashed? If so get the Phillips Crystal Visions (4300K) or Diamond Visions (5100k) They are still illegal but I bet you wont have any trouble.

I have the crystals and they are a much better then the stocko's. You need proper projector lenses for HID/Xenons. Don't let people tell you you dont need them when you do as the chrome on the inside of the lens stuffs the beam pattern of the HID's as they do not use the reflector. Hence the need for projector lenses.

I had the Diamond Vision 5000k bulbs (Not ADR approved) and in my opinion they were shit!, they had a nice blue colour but vision at nite was no good, That's why i brought the Fat Boys, ADR approved and i have never been flashed,

in the ACT HID replacement systems in our trucks are Illegal as we do not have a positive cutoff. NSW may be different who knows.
I have Phillips NightBreakers I imported from the UK in mine. Upgrades the lights legally and ups the light output by about 50% without any increase in wattage.
There are a few decent globes you can buy and run legally that upgrade the light output and not the wattage
Philips X-treme power +80% H4 twin pack plus 80 extreme - eBay Headlights, Lights, Indicators, Car, Truck Parts, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 15-Oct-10 02:11:12 AEDST)

in the ACT HID replacement systems in our trucks are Illegal as we do not have a positive cutoff. NSW may be different who knows.
I have Phillips NightBreakers I imported from the UK in mine. Upgrades the lights legally and ups the light output by about 50% without any increase in wattage.
There are a few decent globes you can buy and run legally that upgrade the light output and not the wattage
Philips X-treme power +80% H4 twin pack plus 80 extreme - eBay Headlights, Lights, Indicators, Car, Truck Parts, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 15-Oct-10 02:11:12 AEDST)

This looks like a lot cheaper alternative, cheers mate.

Thanks for the info everyone you've been a great help!

The big problem is that our multi surface reflectors are setup for the focal length for the standard style H4 headlight. The HID lamp has a different length so the focal length of the reflector is wrong. Some have installed the HID kits and found that the light levels are much brighter but there is no length in the beam. This is because the focal length is way wrong. Conversion kits for driving lights that actually work do so by changing the position of the globe and in so doing sets the focal point of the globe correct to the reflector.

Latest posts

Back