auto trans fluid

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckdxr

Reaction score
Can i use standard Dextron 3 ATF in my navara or does it have to be ATF J as nissan states. Dunno what the J stands for. I just happen to have a 20L drum of Dextron 3 and would be a shame to have to buy a different type.

cheers guys

Depends how your warranty is. Nissan are very, very specific about the auto transmission oil - they allow "or similar" for everything else, but they specifically want THAT oil for the auto transmission.

It's to do with the way the torque converter works. Different grades of oil will cause the converter to behave differently. You would find that a heavier oil will cause the car to creep more, and idle lower, as the oil doesn't let the converter slip as much. A lighter oil might not let the converter "grab" as much, so power transfer would be less effective (it'd be like a manual with a worn clutch).

That said, if you're out of warranty, there's no harm in trying it. If you can't sell the oil to someone, you could give it a go and if it suits, there's your oil for the next few changes.

If it was mine Id research it before doing it as a auto ain't cheap to rebuild.

Dave.

Given how often trannie fluid needs replacing I'd reckon that it would be just as easy to buy the Nissan stuff and forget about it. Like the others said Nissan do it for a reason and it;s not just to make money. It would be different if you replaced the trannie fluid as often as you did engine oil but these days a lot of trannies are made with the idea of oil for life so it's never going to be a common thing to replace.

We have to replace the Hydraulic fluid in the tractor in a few weeks, all 62 litres of it. Kubota and worse on their prices than Nissan but using some thing other than what they say does open up huge risks.

ATF-J has different fliud properties to Dexron type ATF's. I wouldn't use it in your vehicle transmission as it would more than likely cause shift problems and possible damage.

Back